Colt Mustang ?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by CC45, Aug 31, 2012.

1. CC45

CC45 New Member

Hello

Please tell me the differences between the Mustang models. There is the Pockelite, Plus II & MK IV Series 80 . I want to buy one for ccw, Thanks
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You want someone else to do your homework? Well, you have the Mustang { all steel } and Mustang Pocketlite { alloy receiver }, and the Mustang Plus II { extended frame, two more rounds, all steel.}. But don't forget the Colt Pony, the Colt Pony PocketLite, The Government Pocketlite and last but not least the .380 Series 80 Goverment Model. As far as the Mustang's go, the difference is what is the receiver made of, stel or alloy? Now, you didn't ask my opinion but I'm going to give it anyway ( wonderful thing about the Internet ), you would be better off with a current firearm that is still under warranty, either the Ruger .LCP or the Kel-Tec 380. All the others have discontinued, I have heard that Colt is revisiting the small auto again but don't know for sure.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You also have the Sig Sauer P238 which is basically a Colt Mustang, it even takes the same magazine.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Yes, RJ, Colt has it on the market now. Between the Mustang and the P238, they're a toss up. SIG dresses theirs up a bit flashier if you'd like. SIG also offers theirs with SAS (SIG Anti-Snag) de-horning and smoothed for easier conceal carry draw and less printing.
  5. Martimus

Martimus New Member

If I recall correctly the Mustang Plus II and the Mark IV Series 80 Government .380 are very similar in design. I own one of the latter and have had it since purchasing it in 1984. It's an awesome little pistol
  6. CC45

CC45 New Member

I bought this nib Colt MK IV Series 80 Mustang Stainless .380 today.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  7. Conman

Conman Member

Or, you can buy a S&W Model 3913 or 3914 and have a real 9mm...........:)
  8. CC45

CC45 New Member

I have a real 9mm
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

CC45, I have 3 brand new sig sauer magazines that are for the sig 380 that will fit the mustang. Sig and everyone else sells them for 40 bucks and up. I would take 30 bucks each. Check around. I havent seen them any cheaper. Matter of fact, I just looked up what I paid for them..37.00 each..dealer cost..list price is 46.00
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally like the govt .380. But only because its a mini 1911 complete with the barrel bushing and teeny guiderod even.

Thats a smokin deal Dan. If I had any stangs or P238s Id buy them right now.
  11. CC45

CC45 New Member

Thanks Double D

My friend gave me a couple of mags today so I have enough.
  12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

More mags the better, especially at that price.... nudge nudge.... ya ain't ever gonna get a better price than that. It's tough enough just finding mags too.

Great lookin Colt too, I prefer SS.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Dan, If you happen to have those mags at the BBQ, I might be able to take a couple of them off your hands.:D
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I will try to remember to bring them along...
  15. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

I bought a used Mark IV series 80 government .380 last year and it is absolutely great. I looks like a 1911, fits my hand to perfection and has had flawless performance.

I believe the Mustang model is identical except for a slightly shorter barrel and slide and the Mustang is currently back in production.

The standard magazine holds 7 rounds but U.S.A. Magazines has 10 round extended mags. I have two of those but I will say that I had to send one back for replacement because of feed problems. The two I have now work just fine.

I notice we had a caliber snob check in on this thread but when you have to deal with reality a .380 can do a lot of damage and you are more likely to be carrying a smaller, lighter gun that you can hit something with. I, also, currently own an LCP, LC9 and S&W M&P 9C. They are all DAO and they all have a long, grinding trigger pull that really messes with my aim. The S&W is better but still a bit of a problem. The Colt .380 is pure SA and has a nice, crisp trigger that does not cause muscle shake. I'm also sure that someone will say that a small gun has a short sight radius that hinders aiming. I never could see the reasoning in that because any encounter you are likely to have will, probably, not involve the need to part someone's hair at 50 yds.

Get the Mustang and a 10 rnd mag or two and you will be happy.