Colt New Service .45 LC

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wonderwhippet, May 27, 2003.

1. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I have been offered a Colt New Service in .45 LC caliber with a five inch barrel. The condition is 99% and the bore is mint, a really beautiful pistol. As I am unfamiliar with Colt revolvers as old as this one, the finish looks a little strange to me. Rather than the bright Colt blue I am used to in more modern Colts, this one has a kind of satin black finish. There is absolutely no evidence of a reblue, as all markings are sharp and clear and the pistol has never been buffed. Does this sound like the original finish, and if it is, should I pay the $400 the seller is asking?
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

The commercial New Service revolvers were finished in the polished Colt blue of the period. Look carefully at the edges of the markings, use magnification if necessary. Colt parts were polished BEFORE the rollstampings were applied so there should be visible raised edges to the stampings. Usually most obvious in the Rampant Colt - they lose the hooves and the arrows with almost any polishing.

Attached Files:

3. CountryGunsmith

Also, look carefully at the factory polishing marks on this barrel and note how the rollstamp was obviously applied AFTER polishing. This is a pristine commercial New Service.

Attached Files:

4. CountryGunsmith

Now, if this New Service is righteous and .45 Colt was the original chambering, in excellent condition it is worth more than twice the asking price....

Which all leads me to believe its a reblue.
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Many thanks for the advice, I will examine the pistol very closely using all my magnification devices which I always use in purchasing Lugers, P38s, and other WWII pistols for my collection. I originally saw it in a rather dimly lit room, but this time I will look at it out in the daylight. I forgot to mention that the New Service has a beautiful set of checkered walnut grips with a nice kind of floral design around the checkering which appears to be original. It did not have a Colt medallion. If I buy it I will post a photo.