Colt new service revolver of 1892

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by thunderace, Jan 5, 2011.

1. thunderace

thunderace New Member

Hi,I have a Colt new service revolver made in 1895 in 38 Colt caliber. My question is what is the correct ejector rod head for this gun?I looked at various pictures of these guns on the internet and I have seen 3 types on these guns.I think it is the type that is knurled with 2 grooves and a hole that goes through it crosswise.Please give me a experts opinion on what is correct for this gun. Thanks, Rick
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Through most of production, both the military and civilian models used a smooth ejector rod head, with a single groove to the rear and a hole through the front. In 1905, they changed the civilian guns to add checkered type knurling, but kept the same basic shape and hole. The knurled type were also used on the USMC Model 1905, but were too late for other military production except as replacements.

NOTE: When I read your post and you said New Service, but gave the dates 1892 and 1895, T was puzzled. The Colt New Service didn't come out until 1899, so I made the assumption that you meant the .38 Service revolver, Models 1892, 1894, etc. If I am wrong, please post a picture or more information.

Jim
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. thunderace

thunderace New Member

Jim thanks for the info ,I would like to get one for my Gun.It is a service revolver and not a new service as I wrote .Do you have any idea who makes this as repro? Thanks, Rick