Colt Official Police

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rmeron, Apr 2, 2006.

1. rmeron

rmeron New Member

I have a line on a Colt official Police,4"brl,38spl.I don't know the serial number.
    My question is,can I use +P ammo in it?
    I've heard that Colt isn't as restrictive as S&W on +P ammo.
  2. GrantCunningham

GrantCunningham New Member

While the OP is a large-frame gun, and certainly appears as though it wouldn't be a problem, +P ammunition does increase the wear on any gun. Early OPs had softer metallurgy than the late models, and will experience greater wear as a result.

Additionally, parts are becoming harder to find (and more costly), and those of us who work on them are getting few and far between.

The net result is that I advise my customers to avoid +P ammunition in all early models, and to seriously question its use in late guns. The guns won't "blow up", of course, but you have to weigh the increased wear against the maintenance costs.

If you have a late gun, and do the vast majority of your shooting with standard pressure ammunition but keep +P in it for defense, I don't see a problem. I wouldn't suggest shooting a lot of the +P for the reasons mentioned.