1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Colt or Smith & Wesson...?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Now that I have a little wheel gun, I want a big one too......

I originally had my sights set on getting a Colt Python Elite because of thier outstanding quality, and fit & finish.....they sure are purdy guns......;)

I've been told by a few on the chat boards, and some of the wheel gun shooters at the range that even though the Python is a beautiful gun, they are way over priced, and they don't have the best trigger pull.
    Several of these wheel gun shooters are pointing me in the direction of the S&W 686. I deffinitely see more guys shooting S&W's than Colts, and many of these fellows can afford anything they want to buy.

So the big question here is....do I save my money for the next 3 years so I can buy a Colt Python, or only have to save up for a few months to buy the S&W 686.........?
  2. sig_230

sig_230 New Member

If you can get an older Python, I don't think you'll find anything that compares short of the Classic Smith N frame M-27. But I can't get too excited about the Python Elite.
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Since it only takes a "few months" to get a 686, get one.
    Then you can decide over the next "3 years" if you want a Python.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The Colt Python is nice but I'll take the S&W 686 anyday.

I traded my last one to Tuckered1 and still miss it.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I'm with sig_230.

I'd opt for a Colt if I were guarenteed one of the older Pythons manufactured before the shake-up at the factory and the severe cut-back both in personel and offerings. I have a very close friend that was caught in the shake-up back then and he has enlightened me many times on what the changes mean to quality and etc.

I would go ahead and get the S&W now and then start your three year program while you look for an outstanding older Python.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Yeah Marlin...between what's going on at Colt, and S&W...maybe I should be looking at a Ruger GP-161 instead. I hear nothing but great things about them, and Ruger isn't laying off thier work force, or signing deals with the devil like the past owners of S&W did.......

I've owned 5 Ruger products in the past, and was happy with 4 out of the 5 products....(The Mini-14 was very inaccurate, reliable, but inaccurate)
  7. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I was checking out this limited edition KGP-141TG that Ruger has.
    It's got this "Target Grey" stainless steel finish that almost looks like it's parkerized, the only thing is, it's only offered in a 4" barrel version, and I was leaning more towards a 6".

I preffer the looks of a blued revolver over a shiny s/s one, but the bluing isn't as durrable, this target grey finish is a really cool comprimise, and I understand that it's almost indestructable.
    I could live with a 4" barrel, and if this finish proves to be popular, I assume Ruger will start offering it in other models......
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

There is no sweeter action than a K-frame Smith. A 4 pound double action trigger is truly possible, and, unlike Colt, where all the timing error is taken up on one side, so you can pick who you shower with shaved lead, they're all pretty close, excepting the Bangor-Punta years.
    If you must have a Python, Reeves Jungkind (sp) in Austin, Tx, can make it work like nobody else.
  9. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Thanks Stash, but the more I look into this, the more I think the Python is out.....
    I'm down to comparing the S&W 686, and the Ruger GP-100's.
    I looked long and hard at a S&W 686PP...(ported model)...yestarday, and the trigger pull was sweet, in both DA & SA, and the total package impressed me.
    I'll look at a couple of Rugers in the coming weeks, I'm in no hurry, as I don't have the money to buy a box of ammo, let alone a new revolver......:rolleyes:
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

There's no difference, far as I know, in the lockwork of a 686 and a model 10. If you want a serious double action revolver, this is a can't lose deal!
    If the Ruger is REALLY right on price, the only penalty is weight.
    But the Smith, for the same money, will be a treasure forever. Any good 'smith can keep it close to heaven, forever. And a lot closer, in the short run. 'Nuf said?
  11. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

I'm with you on this Stash - 2 Model 10's, a snub and a 4", both old as dirt. The more your shoot them, the better the trigger gets. Then there are the two J Frames - one old air weight and then the new Ti. Had to get used to the look of the hammer on the new Ti - "Hey, that's broke! Where's the firing pin!!" But other than that, they are great!

I do have two Rugers, a older Single Six and a Redhawk. Still great guns - if you have plans to reload and push the power envelope - I'd go Ruger. But, they are generally larger and heavier pieces.
  12. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I noticed that about the Rugers, they do wiegh a little more, but they look and feel like they've built like a brick sh!t house, and I can imagine a hot load would ever hurt it.
    Not that the S&W felt flimsy, it also has that well made feel about it, it's just the Ruger feels over built.
  13. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Stop the presses.....

There's an outside chance that I may still get my hands on a used Python.....

Manufacture date estimated to be some time around the later 60's to early 70's, 6" barrel, Stainless Steel, and I might be able to get it for around $500.00. I still haven't seen it yet, but will get a chance to check it out on Thursday or Friday of this week.
    I told the guy that I may have to make time payments on it, and he seemed to find that exceptible.
    I'm not committing to anything until I see it, and at least feel the trigger pull, and if it has any timing problems or worn out parts...the guy selling it is a gunsmith, so he can make it right....;)
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

Stainless?-or nickel???
    In my recollection, it was late 70's or early 80's for the first of Colt' stainless revolvers; Nickel could be as old as 1955
    Hope that helps...
  15. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Nickel? That's pushing pimp gun, isn't it??:) :)

Just joshin' - stay away from the pearl grips though, or we'll really talk aboutcha!!