Colt Police Positive .22 Target

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BrianT, Mar 8, 2009.

1. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I inherited this gun after my father passed. It belonged to my grandfather. I was told that if I gave a good description of it, someone here might help me put a value to it.

From what I can read on it, I know it is a Colt Police Positive .22 caliber Target model, with a 6 inch barrel. The serial # is 20xxx, which according to my research tells me that this revolver was manufactured in 1922. Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

I don't know how to judge the condition of the gun, so I'll let the pictures do the description. Someone has obviously changed out the grips at some point, and the knurled knob on the ejector is missing. Both sights are adjustable. The bluing is worn, but there is no rust showing. I can't tell the condition of the barrel.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I look forward to reading your responses!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Thanks for your reply! How can I tell what cartridge it takes? The barrel is stamped .22 but doesn't distinguish between the two.

Do the grips hurt the value?
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The WRF are marked 22 WRF
  5. BrianT

BrianT New Member

OK, easy enough.
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

If the grips are real stag then they help the value.

If they are plastic, you can still find Police Positive grips online. Prices for PP grips are reasonable compared to Python or Diamondback factory grips.
  7. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I think they are plastic.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I think they are too, but the easiest way to tell is to remove them. Take a pin and heat it red hot, and then touch it to the backside of the grip. Plastic smells like burning plastic. Stag, which is antler, smells like burning hair. You do it on the backside so your test burn can't be seen.
  9. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I will be ordering correct grips and the ejector rod cap from the website above tomorrow. I plan to keep the gun, but want it to be as nice as possible. I cleaned it today, but need to have a gunsmith look at it before I attempt to shoot it.
  10. BrianT

BrianT New Member

New grips and ejector rod cap.

[​IMG]
  11. PetahW

PetahW New Member

You did your family's memory proud - That's a very nice revolver.

Don't toss the Franzite grips, since they're valuable in their own right.
    Some collectors covet them for their hokieness (is that a word ?).

If it was mine, I would have bought the replacement grips, but kept them stored with the gun - and left the faux stags mounted, that either your Father or Grandfather wanted ILO the originals.

12. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I held on to the fake grips just for memories sake. I didn't like the look and wasn't really sure of the story behind them. When I give the gun to my son someday, he can decide what he wants to do with them.