Colt Police Positive 32-20 WCF, rare find

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 76Highboy, Feb 12, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I found this in a pawn shop and paid $165.00 for it. Tip of the grips are slightly chipped on each side. The gun is rustic, but it is tight and the timing is great.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  2. 76Highboy

By the way, this is NOT MY GUN. It's my wifes (but I found it for her). She said ya,,, you'd better put that.
  3. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

That is a remarkably good price for a Colt in working condition. And the grips are in excellent shape for their age.

I have never had a pistol in .32-20. I have been told that a) it is about like 32 Magnum in power, and b) that it is very loud, for some reason. I have no idea if either thing is true. Have you fired this one yet?
  4. 76Highboy

No, I have not shot it, but I will and will give a report on it. I would like to try it on rabbits and will get some pics. It just has that nice point of aim feel and would be fun to get some dinner. Maybe even some grouse.

One day while waiting to meet my wife for lunch (I was early), I went into a pawn shop to check out the guns. I saw this one. He told me what his low price was, I think it was around $200.00 if my memory serves me right. My wife showed up and fell in love with the gun,,, LITERALLY. I set $165.00 on the counter and he looked at me. I think I said t\"That includes tax", and he said "ok". ********* was showing those guns between 300-450. I did ok. Also, this one was produced in 1923 if my memory serves me correct. The serial number is 271707 M. Maybe someone will know the correct prod. date. I looked it up once but my PC is slow. Also, what does the M mean.
  5. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Sorry, I don't know about Colt serial numbers. All I know about your gun is that it is a "Police Postive Special", which had a larger frame than the original Police Positive or the Police Positive 38 (38 as in 38 S&W). Your gun's frame was designed for 38 Special, and could handle 32-20 quite well.

Since it is an old gun, I have two minor suggestions for shooting it:

1) Try to make sure it is "in time", that is, that the cylinder is lining up with the barrel OK. I have an H&R 38 Defender, and I find that when I cock the hammer slowly, the cylinder rotates about 1/8 of an inch when the trigger is pulled for firing. This makes me not want to shoot it as is, but who works on vintage H&Rs? At least with a Colt, you should be able to find somebody willing and able to work on it if it needs it.

2) Hard rubber gets a bit brittle with age, and your grips are nice, as I said. You might look around for some replacements for shooting it. Your gun was a popular model, so there are probably quite a few choices out there.

You are lucky that Cowboy Action Shooting has caught on. There is more .32-20 ammo around now than there was for decades.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. 76Highboy

Lanrezac, Thanks for the post. The two reasons that you spoke of is exactly why I haven't shot it. I will get some different grips and my gunsmith is itching to see it. It's a keeper.
  7. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

Thats a very sweet find and I'm not even goping to mention what you paid for it. Good job! I am still new to this great hobby we share and when I see guns like this I realize that I will probably keep every gun I buy so my children and grandchildren will have them after I am gone.

I love the old ones...
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

What amasses me about guns like this is that most all the finish is gone yet the screws, the grips and the overall mechanical condition appears to be excellent. As for the 32-20 I have two hand guns in that calber but I have never shot them. I have a Browning lever action in 32-20 and with my handloads I am getting 1800 feet per second and it turns jack rabbits inside out. I don't think I would shoot that hot of load in my revolvers. One is a Colt Police Positive and the other is a S&W Hand Ejector. The flicks on the Colt is just dust from the old pistol rug I keep it in, I didn't see before I took the picture. The S&W is very nice but the bore is gonzo like someone poured acid down it.

Ron

Attached Files:

9. 76Highboy

That Colt is sweet. Any idea what year it was made?
  10. muddober

muddober Active Member

Thank you, no I don't when it was made but the serial number is 385xxx if that helps. I bought it just recently for $425.00 and I paid a $100.00 for the elk horn grips because the pearl grips it had didn't even come close to fitting. The bore is perfect.

A bit of trivia, it has been written that Al Capone carried a Police Positive in 32 Colt.

Ron
  11. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 New Member

With its age, metalurgy and size, avoid rifle type loads in these small Colts. Factory jacketed bullets can, and often do, stick in pistol barrels from excessive friction. Lead bulleted factory and "cowboy" loads are the order of the day.
  12. 76Highboy

Thanks blackhawk44