Colt Police Positive .38 British proofs

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BlueTic, Jul 24, 2003.

1. BlueTic

BlueTic New Member

Well I'm looking at a 98% Police Positive - ser#3315xx - I think that is about 1926 ish. It has the crown over a B and NP marked on the barrel and crown marks on each cylinder flute. This is in .38 and does not say special or S&W. Almost perfect blue with very minor wear - the grips are walnut checkered and are in excellent condition with gold medalion. The only downfall is a number inscribed on the trigger guard A1590 not stamped. My question is - Did the brits add a serial # to these imports and if so was it a stamp or inscribed? There is a stamp on the righthand side of the frame that says *NOT MADE IN ENGLAND* - They want $375.00 and the only thing stopping me is the inscribed # on the trigger guard - I may get it anyway. This would be a second issue because it has the serrated top strap not smooth and the last patent date is 1926....
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Yep......sounds like a 2nd Issue.

I've never heard of the Brits adding a second serial #...British proofs, yes, but not another serial #. I have no idea what that other number is.

$375 is a fair price. The Blue Book has it at $395 for 98%.
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Just a wild guess here, but could the number on the trigger guard be a police shield number? just a thought!
  4. BlueTic

BlueTic New Member

I thought maybe a service # of some kind but there is almost no holster wear - More than likely just an identification departmental # since it is not a stamp. Thanks guys!