Colt Police Positive 38

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by esq1999, Jul 11, 2011.

1. esq1999

esq1999 New Member

I have a Colt 32 Police Positive Ctg
    The Pat'd dates are aug 5 1884, june 5 1900 and july 4 1905 engraved on the barrel.

I do not know the serial number as the gun was my late father's found in indoor storage and very rusty. I have made no attempts to recondition it. I have the original box the revolver came in and a box of bullets. I think he picked it up new when he was in the service (WWII) and positivley never fired.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how old this gun is?
    And a general estimate how much it is worth?

Thanks
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Your title says .38 but the text says a .32? What caliber is the box of cartridges?

The serial number will be needed to date the gun, and if you can read the patent dates, the serial should be legible: Open the cylinder and look on inside of the hinged "crane" that the cylinder swings out on.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  3. esq1999

esq1999 New Member

Thank-you

I will do this and get back to you later this morning. Thank you for your help
  4. esq1999

esq1999 New Member

Ok...I have double checked the Revolver and it is a Colt Police Positive .38 No. 41464.

Is it ok to clean the revolver or just leave it rusted? Thanks for your help
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

According to proofhouse.com, your gun was made in 1911.

As a minimum you need to stop the rust. If it's just light surface rust, try using a piece of burlap or similar rough rag soaked in oil. Don't use anything more abrasive than oily 0000 steel wool.

Value will depend on condition: If badly rusted with no original finish, it will have lost it's collector value, and will just be a "shooter" if mechanically OK. Also, if the box you mention is the original Colt box and identified to this gun, it will add some value.

If you have digital pics on your PC, click on the Go Advanced tab below the reply screen, then under Additional Options click on the Manage Attachments tab, and browse to find and upload your pics.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  6. esq1999

esq1999 New Member

Thank-you for your help.

If cleaned and in it's origional box what do you beleive the value to be at best? Would you be able to estimate a range? I have not tried to clean it but based upon my experiance cleaning my shootgun it should clean up nicely.

Thanks for your help as I have no clue
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Hard to second guess the current economy. Review of .38 Police Positives listed online last 90 days finds quite a few that went unsold, and a half dozen with worn or no original finish that sold from $161 to $260. If yours is still in collectable condition after cleaning and the box is in nice shape, maybe $200-$250 range?
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Is it a Police Positive, or a Police Positive Special? Positive is 38 New Police, AKA 38 Smith and Wesson. Positive SPECIAL is 38 Special. Special will be easier to sell, and get more money.
  9. esq1999

esq1999 New Member

The revolver is a Police Positve 38. I will clean it and probably keep it. The box is in ok shape. Thank-you all for your help.
    ESQ1999