1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Colt Police Positive

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mauserman454, Mar 29, 2004.

1. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

Hi Guys! I recently picked up a Colt Police Positive in 38 Special at a local shop for $100. It has a 4"BBl, fixed sights, and what I think are brown "bakelight" (some sort of primitve plastic) grips, though they must be original, because they have the colt horse symbol on them.

I bought it, because I was looking for a cheap shooter, and the action on this pistol locked up tighter than Fort Knox! Plus, the price was right.

Does anyone know what are the differences between the Official Police, and the Police Postive? I think this Police Positive has a smaller frame... Is that the only difference?

I would like a set of original colt wooden grips, anyone know where I can find them?

Is there anyway to tell when the revolver was made?

Thanks!

MM454
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

You have a Police Positive Special. The Police Positive was chambered only in .38 Colt New Police and .38 S&W.

The Police Positive Special was built on a slightly larger frame to accomodate the longer cylinder for the .38 Special, in addition to the original offerings.

Your grips are hard rubber (sometimes known as "gutta percha") and are original to the gun.

If your gun has a square butt (most likely with those grips), it was manufactured between 1907 and 1973.

An updated version (to handle +P ammo) was introduced in 1994 and has a rounded butt.

And yes, the Official Police has a slightly larger frame to handle cartridges up to .41 Colt.
  3. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

Police Positive Special

Thanks for the reply Xracer I finally had it put on my permit, so I just got it home. Yoy were correct, it is a Police Positive Special... I think the police postive special is more common, becasue they were made until 1978, so maybe I didn't get as good of a deal as I thought, though I'm very happy with the revolver, the fit and finish on it are impeccable

According to the serial number range listed on this website, it was made in 1951

http://proofhouse.com/colt/pops.htm
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

You got a good deal.