1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Colt Revolver Mainspring Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Dom Pastore
    (5/27/02 8:25:33 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Colt "D" Frame Revolver Mainspring Repair
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can anyone PLEASE help me to determine if I'm correct in my assumption that a Colt "V" type mainspring can be bent / openened & or closed to adjust it's pull weight ? I have an older 1964 vintage Colt "Agent" (2" - .38 Spl.), which suffers from extremely light primer hits, thereby producing misfires.I recall reading somewhere that the Colt's "V" mainsprings can be bent to either lighten or strengthen their trigger pulls. Is this a correct assumption ?? If so, are there any tricks to this procedure ?? ANY & ALL replies will be most deeply appreciated. THANK YOU. Regards, Dom Pastore

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/27/02 8:33:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Colt "D" Frame Revolver Mainspring Repair
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello Dom, and welcome to the Firearms Forum. Till 1 of our resident armourers has a chance to respond to your request,
    take a look at the site below.

home.earthlink.net/~grsimpson/sample.html

Dom Pastore
    (5/27/02 9:52:08 am)
    THANK YOU very much for your prompt & informative reply to my recent query. I had an idea that I was on the right track regarding the mainspring bending, but needed to confirm this before getting started. This is what I really like about the I-Net, everyone sharing info. and helping each other. THANKS again, I really appreciate it. Best Regards, Dom Pastore

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/27/02 10:14:49 am)
    Welcome Dom.....Doc should be by shortly and able to help you. He sleeps a lot......LTS
    T.F.F.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/27/02 11:44:02 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Colt "D" Frame Revolver Mainspring Repair
    Only when absolutely necessary.

Yes, the geometry of the mainspring can be altered for a TEMPORARY fix. Many people alter the geometry initially to lighten the trigger pull and go too far, then when the spring begins to 'set' you start getting light hits on the primers. Other methods include 'shaving' the spring.

Remove the mainspring and bend each leaf slightly outward at a point about 3/4" from the closed end. This will TEMPORARILY increase the compression force of the spring. If that fixes your problem, then replace the mainspring with a new one.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson