1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

colt revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cdixon, May 5, 2006.

1. cdixon

cdixon New Member

My grandfather left me two revolvers. They both have Texas navy fighting the mexican navy, and they say engaged may 16 1843. This is on the cylinder. They both have 38 special on them . The barrel is octagon and about 7 1/2 inches long. On one of the guns have the number 4242 in front of the triiger guard and inside the barrel. The other has 3861 in the same places. They both say colt patent no. but there is no numbers. Could you please give me some information on these revolvers and what they might be worth.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi cdixon......welcome to TFF.

Your description of your two Colt revolvers is somewhat confusing. The Colt Army & Navy cap and ball revolvers had the roll engraved naval scene on their cylinders......but they were made long before the .38 Special cartridge was invented, and, as far as I know, none were ever converted to that cartridge. Further, no Colt revolver ever offered in .38 Special had that scene engraved on it at the factory.

Can you post photos of your two revolvers?

Also, give us all of the writing on them, exactly as it appears, and where it appears.
  3. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Sounds like the pistols could possibly be modern reproductions.