Colt rifle .22 pump action octagon barrel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by emiuni, Feb 25, 2007.

1. emiuni

emiuni New Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to dig up some info on a rifle my hubby inherited. It's a Colt rifle .22 pump action with an octagon barrel, ser # 143XX. The last patent date on the barrel is Feb 22, 1887. The decorative grip had broken and been repaired, and there is a chip off the very back tip. Oh - it doesn't look very "blue" to me but please refer to pictures for most reliable view of condition. I took the pictures in sunlight and didn't enhance them at all.

More detailed pics can be seen HERE

Thank you so much in advance! :)
    Emily

[​IMG]
  2. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

It looks like a nice gun and would probably be worth about $250 to the right person.

$200 in fair condition

$150 in poor condition.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Colt Lightning magazine Rifle Small Frame
    New in bow $1385
    Exc. Shape $1055
    Good Shape $725
    Fair Shape $500
    with optional features add 20%
  4. DanC_1968

DanC_1968 New Member

That is a "Colt Lightning" slide action, small frame. 90,000 were made from 1887 to 1904. Grading yours conservatively at 50-60% condition with the broken forend, The Blue Book of Gun Values still rates it at $495 for 50%, and $535 for 60% condition. If it was sold at a well advertised gun auction(like gunbroker), and 2 or more people were really interested in it, you might be surprised to see what it might sell for--anywhere from the blue book value to 1-1/2 times its value. Sometimes more. Easily, if the forend wasn't broken, and maybe in spite of it. There are a lot of collectors of old .22's(especially with octagon barrels) out there, and not many .22 rifles made by Colt.
  5. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

Yes it might be Dan if it was well kept.

But when you have a rifle with this much damage - not many people are in the market to collect it much past the shooter stage of collectability.

If it was in mint condition with no damage - it might be worth $450!

But with all the little odds and ends it isn't worth much more than the price of something new in comparatable models.

If it is broke when you buy it or if it breaks after you buy it, you are S.O.L. Because they have not made that gun in 100 years and the avaliability of new parts is .oooo1 chance in 1 million of ever finding a origional part.
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Emiuni Here you go this is one in much worse shape than yours selling for $499.95
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/none/_976832528.aspx

Here is another one for $895
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/none/_976840393.aspx

Rifleman is just trying to argue, I am giving you the Blue Book Value along with 2 other books. I am not going to argue with the books if you sell it do it online with the auctions and you could a minumum of $400, Due to the collectibility of the rifle I don't think the buyer would ever shoot it so finding parts won't be an issue
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi emiuni.........welcome to TFF. :)

Your Colt Lightning Action - Small Frame rifle was made in 1891, and according to the Blue Book of Gun Values is worth:

90% - $1,000
    80% - $795
    70% - $650
    60% - $575
    50% - $535
    40% - $495

I agree with DanC.....even with the broken forend, it should sell in the $500 range, perhaps more at auction.
  8. emiuni

emiuni New Member

Wow, guys - I am impressed. Thank you so much for all the replys. My husband says he's not going to sell it, but is very happy with all the information you have provided.

In fact, I mentioned to my dad how helpful you all have been and he handed me my Grandfather's rifle and said he does want to get rid of it. It needs to be cleaned up and it's too dark right now to take a decent picture, but if any of you wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge about this one...

Can I post it here or do I need to start a new thread? It's a Winchester model 1890, ser #473xxx. It also has an octagon barrel and a scope. Dad said it's a .22 special - longs won't fit.

Emily
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Start a new thread Maam.
    You might want to store your Colt, with the action closed, & the trigger lock on. Keeps the dust out a bit. :)
  10. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Emiuni.....we could answer your 1890 question here, but we'd prefer that you start a new thread. That way, more people will see, and perhaps, learn from it.

Also, it would help if you'd post some pictures of it.....that gives an idea of it's condition.

BTW.....those were very nice pix you posted of the Colt. I wish more people with questions about various guns would post sharp, clear, full length pictures of their firearms.....as your pix were.
  11. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Do not atempt to "clean it up". It takes knowledge and expertise to properly clean an antique firearm. If you harm the natural age patina it could hurt the value. Let the buyer do the cleaning.
  12. emiuni

emiuni New Member

:eek: Sorry guys...didn't mean to leave you hanging. It's been a really busy week and I haven't had a chance to check back here. I'll go start a new thread right now...