Colt (RS MODEL 38)

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by REPEATER, Apr 30, 2012.

1. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

been searching and searching this one. its as if the model doesn't exist. it looks to be whats known as a BANKERS SPECIAL, but where it should be stamped as such, it is instead stamped RS MODEL 38. this is a 5 round, double action revolver. 2" barrel. serial # 596,4XX V. The V is under the number and only on the frame half. so im not sure if its part of the # or not. Ive also noticed the front sight is not rounded over. The serial number log I found stops at the 400,000 range for them. So I'm at a loss. Anyone ???
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

here's a picture if it helps any. I found that the RS may stand for a gunsmith of Colt for that time. but the text was written about a different revolver

Attached Files:

3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Colt Bankers Special was made in two calibers, .38 New Police (.38 S&W) and .22 LR. Both were six shot, not five, and clearly marked on the left side of the barrel "BANKERS/SPECIAL". They were serial numbered in the Police Positive series and other than barrel length and the rounded butt, they have all the characteristics of the PP (not the Police Positive Special). According to Wilson, the highest serial number was 406725.

If your gun will accept .38 Special cartridges, then you don't have a Bankers Special. I have not found any Colt "RS" marking and have no recollection of such a model, but maybe others can enlighten us. (I wonder if the barrel has been cut down and the "RS" is the end of "OFFICERS".)

But a major problem is that Colt never made any of those guns in a 5 shot version, only in 6 shot. The "V" could indicate an S&W Victory Model with a shortened barrel, but those also were six shot.

Good pictures would help a lot, especially of the barrel and markings.

Jim
  4. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

its 6. I ran out of fingers counting on that hand... the 38 and almost a 357 mag round fit it. I never thought of it being cut down. the barrel length isnt spot on 2'' either. Id think it would be. Ill search info on the idea it was chopped
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

That is a replacement sight.
  6. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

and it also explains why the rear sight was adjusted all the way to one side.... the front looks straight but it obviously isnt.... as far as pictures, I cant post more right now. I spilled coffee in the laptop and currently cannot transfer pictures from an SD card without it...
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  7. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

serial # still not jiving with officers model...
  8. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

Ok, got a keyboard and can post pictures. What I've found as Ive been going through the gun is a couple more marks. Lost some too. The RS MODEL 38 with the little 4 triangles that make a square have been filed and sanded out due to major pitting in the plating of this gun. it was on the driver side of the barrel "looking down the gun" and was read from barrel to the butt of the gun. On top, behind the sight there is a capital letter A at the end of what would be line one. and just under it at the end of line 2 is the number 6. other than that Ive just been filing, sanding, and sanding it some more. Getting into the polishing stages of it in a few parts. anyways, without further delay, here's some pictures. Hope someone can help me nail this thing down for sure now!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  9. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

few more

Attached Files:

10. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Wow. That used to be a nice target model Colt. I can't tell for sure, but it looks more Police Positive size than Official Police. Somebody wanted a Detective Special, and decided to make this into one by brute force. Then they had it plated to hide the evidence. Of course, it could have already been beat up when they started the conversion. If the barrel was bulged, this might have made sense.

It seems like decent guns were once relatively inexpensive, and so were basic metalworking skills and tools, so this kind of thing happened a lot. Maybe it is less common now.

PS - if it is a 38 Special, it is more likely to be an Official Police, or Officer's Model Target. I don't think many Police Positive Specials had hard rubber grips.
  11. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

It's looking better and better. Still not sure about how to go at the cylinder though. It needs a little bit of work. No where near as bad as the rest of the gun. I need to shoot it to see if the sight is really that far off. If it is, its getting removed to allow the barrel to be refinished and a new one put back on. That is if I can get it looking like it deserves something new. For now, ill only spend time and sandpaper on it. It's a tight gun. no slop anywhere and smooth as glass. No wear on the internals that I can tell. I need to find a picture of the missing knob for the ejector. I want to see if I have the skills to rig up a manual lathe of sorts and turn one down, drill and tap lol. I have a boring life anymore

I think I recall it fitting in the detective series with its serial #... but I also think I remember finding evidence proving otherwise. Searching the #'s doesn't give you pictures too. that's what makes that hard. If you could click on any year of #'s and an example of that year popped up, it would be fabulous!!
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It does look to have had , at least at one time, adjustable sights. To be honest ( JMO ) it's not even worth spending time researching whats left of whatever it started life as. It is just a shootable clunker now and what ever " Model Name " it once had, well, it's long gone.
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I agree with RJay. As is, the gun is worth probably $75, and any further time, work and/or expense will not increase that value. Research is pointless since it is not now even an identifiable model.

As a short-range defense gun, it might be quite useful and if anything happens to it, there would be no great loss.

Jim
  14. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

Hahaha... Well thanks for the honesty guys. Grandpa more than likely wanted a boot gun or something. His service revolver more than makes up for it I guess. I'm still gonna clean it up real nice, And I bet when it's done it'll look like at least $100 ;) The rounded corners are becoming square again. Only a couple blemishes will be left. The rear sight isn't on it right now but I do have it. the original grips are switched out in the pics, as you can see. I like the all black look. Plus the hacked revolver turns out to be my great grandfathers service revolver. So it does still have a little bit of sentiment to it

Attached Files: