Colt S-70

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Sooner44, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Sooner44

Sooner44 New Member

I had an older Colt that was pretty beat up. The blueing was almost gone, needed springs and a little TLC. I decided to get the pistol back in good working condition and give it new finish to make her a little eaiser to look at.
    Considering this is one of my range guns, I thought it turned out okay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Very Nice!
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I think it turned out pretty good also.

Now, how about a range report.....................or better yet, send it to me along with a case of ammo and I'll do the range report. :D:D
  4. Sooner44

Sooner44 New Member

Shooter,

The finish is duracoat and from what I read, takes about 4 weeks to reach it's potiential in hardness. I was planning on letting it set for a month prior to shooting it. I have heard that heating the finish in the oven will work too, but, I have other guns to shoot while I wait. The entire frame, slide and small parts were bead blasted, cleaned and finished so I hope this prep will allow the duracoat to last and wear good. I don't have any experience with this finish, and don't know anyone who does. I was skeptical about using it :eek:

The texture and color turned out great, it looks and feel just like park, just a little darker in color. This particular pistol had very shallow roll marks in places (this way from the factory) and is the only issue I have with it.

Thanks for the reply !!!

Sooner
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I used Duracoat on the racegun I built, Not a bad finish for cheap. More durable than bluing for my game as the gun gets beat up pretty good. End of the season, bake it on again.

Sounds like you did all the right things. Keep us posted.
  6. Sooner44

Sooner44 New Member

Tore the gun back down and replaced all internal parts, springs, sear, disconnector, and associated parts with quality components and springs.

Took the gun out to the range today and shot 200 rounds of 185gr LSWC 5.4gr HP38 @ 15 yards. I'm finally done (I hope ;))

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]