Colt SAA 1st Gen Blackpowder?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bilbo42, Jun 27, 2006.

1. bilbo42

bilbo42 New Member

Hi. I am new to this forum and wanted to share a picture of my cousin's colt 45 and see what anyone knew about it. I thought I posted this last night but I did not dsee it. Sorry if it is a duplicate.From what he said, it is a first generation antique or black powder. It is chambered for 45 cal. The serial number is 860XX The antique or black powder is denoted by the screw that is directly under the cylinder retaining pin. I know there are a couple of things wrong with it, the back strap is nickeled or chrome and the extracting rod and spring are gone. The writing on top of the barrel is kinda faint so I will substitute a ? mark for letters that I can't make out. "Colt's P? F A MFG ?? " and below that "Hartford CT USA". Below the cylinder on the left side is "PAT Sept 19 1871
    July 2 72
    Jan 19 75

45 CAL is on the left side of the trigger guard at front. The serial number is on the bottom of the gun in two places: the front of the trigger guard and just in front of that on the frame. There is a different serial number on the backstrap and a different one on the loading gate. Any info that anyone can give me would really help. The holster is one that mu mother has had ever since I can remember. It has no maker marks on it. Thanks,Bil

Attached Files:

2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Sounds like a possible parts gun.
  4. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

doesnt look 2 bad BUT it IS a hump-up (slang 4 put2gether) serial# inducates 1883. sum1 cud bild a shooter, an they R popular witda "cowboy" crowd speshally if priced rite. I wood ventur a gess inda range of 3-5 hunderd, if all the #'s matched thas a nother story------ :cool:
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I sold one very similar to this to a cowboy shooter for $600 and he thought it was a bargain. I do have a couple of all matching turn of the century Colt SAAs in very nice shape. According to the book they should bring upwards of $3000, so I took them to the high class antique gun show in Las Vegas. Turns out there are so many of these around that no one wants them at those prices. I would have been lucky to get $1000 apiece. I still have them.