Colt SAA 1st Gen

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jeff7498, Dec 28, 2009.

1. jeff7498

jeff7498 New Member

Hi All,

I am new to the forum but think it is awesome!

I have a Colt SAA 1st Gen .45 with 7.5 inch barrel, the grips are not original but all numbers match. The serial number is 3301##. The revolver is mostly all Patina, it has the long flutes on the cylinder and the bore is excellent. I was hoping some of you could guess the value as I am going to have to sell it. I purchased the Colt at a gun show in Asheville NC in 1988 and it has been in my safe ever since. Thanks for any help and Happy New Years!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The gun dates to 1915. IMHO, that finish is not just worn, the gun has been "cleaned" at one time or another. The frame should be color case-hardened but there is no sign left of that, and no blue either. Even with heavy use, there will be signs of original finish unless someone took pains to remove it. Plus there are indications of an old polishing, though not excessive. I would put the value at around $2500-3000, but then I tend to estimate low on SAA's so I hope someone else will contribute.

The long flute cylinders are often considered something special, but they were simply reworked Model 1878 cylinders that Colt was using up after that model was discontinued.

Jim
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

Jim, I think your estimate is rich. There is a first generation 4 3/4" in much nicer shape with traces of CC and still can see lots of fire blued screws that is on a popular gun auction site that is at $1,000.00 with only 15 hours to go. The reserve has not been met and there are no bids. There is also a piece of junk on there at $7,000.00 with no bids.

Ron
  4. jeff7498

jeff7498 New Member

Thanks for the info guys.
  5. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Welcome to the forum Jeff, I am not an expert by any means just a small time collector. That being said I cant tell you what its worth and I hope you are not looking to sell it cause to me that would be a priceless piece of history. I know I am slightly crazy but I love all SAA and an original in the shape that is I just couldnt put a price on it. Really really hope you are planning on keeping it, I for one consider you to be very lucky!
  6. jeff7498

jeff7498 New Member

Thanks Roland. I do not want to sell it but lost my job and need to. I do not want to give it away that is why I am asking for help with putting a fair value on it.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009