Colt SAA 32-20

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bmcphe44, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Bmcphe44

Bmcphe44 New Member

This pistol was traded for back in the 30s by my Dad. My Grandmother kept it under her mattress for years unloaded. She thought it might scare someone I guess. I would beg my Dad to let me draw against Matt Dillon at the beginning of Gunsmoke and since we had no ammunition for the gun I guess he thought it was safe enough and I would pull it from my Mattel Fanner 50 holster.

The gun seems mechanically sound and tight but it has some problems. The cylinder release screw has been worked over a little with a pair of pliers, there is a screw missing next to the trigger and worst of all my Dad let a local gunsmith talk him into reblueing it in the 60s.

I have thought of sending it in to Colt and having it reconditioned since the gun will never be sold anyway but I am wondering if that is a wise idea. I have the original grips but one of them is broke in half. Anyway I hope the pictures turn out OK and am interested in your collective thoughts and present condition value of the gun. Thanks, bmcp

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The pictures are too blurry to be sure, but it looks like that gun was heavily buffed prior to bluing, essentially ruining it as a collector piece and reducing it to shooter status. The drag mark on the cylinder indicates the gun is badly out of time as well. You could have the internals rebuilt, but the outside can never be "restored"; you can't put back metal that was ground off. I would suggest keeping it as a family heirloom, but not spending any money on it.

If you want a SA Colt, modern ones are available for not much more than it would cost just to rebuild that gun. Good quality clones, like the Uberti guns, are available for even less.

Jim
  3. Bmcphe44

Bmcphe44 New Member

Thanks Jim. Sorry about the pictures. I think I am going to have to get a new camera as this one doesn't do close up very well. I was pretty sure that was the condition of the gun and it really doesn't matter because it won't be sold anyway. I think I will probably take your advice and not spend any money on it. I do appreciate your quick response to my question. I still may have Colt research the gun and see if they can tell me where it was sold. The SN which is in the 323xxx indicates it was made in the 1913-14 time frame I think and it would be neat to know where it came from. Thanks again, bmcp