Colt SAA Artillery Model .38 WCF

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jrhinehart, Nov 2, 2012.

1. jrhinehart

jrhinehart New Member

One of my father's friends brought over his collection of pistols to see how old they were and I ran across this beauty. After a few hours of research I found it to be a Colt SAA, although none of them seemed to match exactly what I had. After more time spent searching I learned that it was an "Artillery Model." However, out of all the places I've been online, I've only seen them in .45, and this one is a .38 WCF.

As a matter of fact, the only place I've even heard MENTION of the .38 is in this old post on this forum from 2006.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=32803

Does anyone have any idea what this could be worth (at least in comparison to the .45 version?) Thank you much!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

The barrel has been replaced.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I seem to see a faint outline of the "U.S." marking, but no Army contract guns were made in .38 W.C.F. (.38-40) caliber. If the gun serials to a contract gun, then, as Bill says, the barrel has been replaced and, I assume, the cylinder has also. First generation SAA's in .38-40 are fairly common, some 30 thousand having been made, but that does not appear to be one of them.

Jim