1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Colt SAA Details Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by BroknPrism, Nov 17, 2005.

1. BroknPrism

BroknPrism New Member

Bought a USFA Gunslinger because I wanted a 4 3/4" barrel and it was one of only a few available. (Great gun, but historically a mess. 58,XXX S/N with 3-line patent dates on a cross-pin frame. I coulda cried.) Anyway, I expected a 2-line address, and I got one, but the font is an odd sans serif style that I didn't expect. I can't find a photo anywhere of a Colt 2-line barrel address to see what it's SUPPOSED to look like. Any clues, Colt guys? (And if I get the experts' attention here, I have a few burning questions:)

- when was the rampant pony added to the frame?
    - the transition from the 3-line, 3-date patent to the 2-line, 3-date patent stamp preceded the cross-pinned frame, but at approx what S/N?
    - when, if ever (what years), did Colt stamp 45 CAL on the trigger bow of early 1st gens?
    - finally, what year(s) would a 23,XXX SAA have been made in?

Thanks very much.

Rob
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Your serial number put this gun in the Frontier Six-Shooter range 45,xxx to 65,xxx made from 1878-1882. The name should be etched into the left side of the barrel. However, all were made in 44-40 caliber. I believe you have nothing more than a parts gun and collector value is what you can get.

We need a lot more info to complete what you are looking for. Is this a blued or case hardened frame? Any US markings? Colt did use a script font on the barrel in early days.

Serial number 23,xxx would put it in the early military models up to serial number 24,xxx from 1873-1877.