Colt SAA Details Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by BroknPrism, Nov 17, 2005.

1. BroknPrism

BroknPrism New Member

Bought a USFA Gunslinger because I wanted a 4 3/4" barrel and it was one of only a few available. (Great gun, but historically a mess. 58,XXX S/N with 3-line patent dates on a cross-pin frame. I coulda cried.) Anyway, I expected a 2-line address, and I got one, but the font is an odd sans serif style that I didn't expect. I can't find a photo anywhere of a Colt 2-line barrel address to see what it's SUPPOSED to look like. Any clues, Colt guys? (And if I get the experts' attention here, I have a few burning questions:)

- when was the rampant pony added to the frame?
    - the transition from the 3-line, 3-date patent to the 2-line, 3-date patent stamp preceded the cross-pinned frame, but at approx what S/N?
    - when, if ever (what years), did Colt stamp 45 CAL on the trigger bow of early 1st gens?
    - finally, what year(s) would a 23,XXX SAA have been made in?

Thanks very much.

Rob
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Your serial number put this gun in the Frontier Six-Shooter range 45,xxx to 65,xxx made from 1878-1882. The name should be etched into the left side of the barrel. However, all were made in 44-40 caliber. I believe you have nothing more than a parts gun and collector value is what you can get.

We need a lot more info to complete what you are looking for. Is this a blued or case hardened frame? Any US markings? Colt did use a script font on the barrel in early days.

Serial number 23,xxx would put it in the early military models up to serial number 24,xxx from 1873-1877.