Colt SAA Frontier Six Shooter Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by taylorpot, Dec 16, 2011.

1. taylorpot

taylorpot New Member

I have a Colt SAA "Frontier Six Shooter" that I have had in my family for about 30 years. It has been sitting in my safe and I am currious as to the value and any information that you might be able to pass along. As far as I can tell everything is original and all of the serial numbers match although they are soemwhat tough to read. Serial # 508731. Colt Frontier Six Shooter is visible on the barrel although it is somewhat faint. It is a 44-40 cal.

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. It's a black powder model, not in great shape but the most popular caliber and barrel marking. However, something is out of kilter with the serial number you list as much too high for that era.

Suggest you post pics of the numbers on butt and frame.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The grip does not appear to be original, as it does not fit properly.

Jim
  4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

As mentioned before, the serial number given is not correct. Please submit a good clear picture of the bottom of the frame, trigger guard and butt of the gun.

Assuming that turns out OK, value in that condition is still between $1000-$1500 assuming it is mechanically correct.
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

Years ago here in Carson City Nevada we use to have a gun shop that was owned by the now deceased Chris Anderson. He us to have a 55 gallon drum cut in half filled with SA Colts your choice for $7.00, all of which were in much better shape than the gun shown here. That being said I know guns like this bring a $1,000.00 plus dollars but why I don't have a clue.

Ron
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

K-Mart used to sell all types of Mauser's and Arisaka's out of a 55 gallon drum for 15 bucks too but what does that have to do with the price of eggs in China?
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

One reason guns like that sell is that fakers buy them up, diddle with the numbers and/or finish, then peddle them to gullible folks at fancy prices. Near here there is a thread on an engraved Colt SAA which I would bet at least a small coffee was in about the same shape as that one before it was ground down, some cheap engraving added, and the price multiplied by five.

Jim
  8. taylorpot

taylorpot New Member

Thanks for the response. Here is what I have determined with the help of a local gunsmith. It is an early SAA Black Powder version circa 1878-1890. The serial number is actually 50,873 not 508731 as i had originally posted. It is a Colt Frontier Six Shooter etched panel with the three line patent. The grips do not appear original but do reflect the vintage. Based upon the current condition it was valued at $2800-$3,250. I have attached some additional pictures.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

9. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

That would be a very high retail valuation.
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Serial number dates it to 1879. I agree that's an extremely high valuation.
  11. taylorpot

taylorpot New Member

Thanks. I just needed a ballpark at to what it was worth and a little knowldege about the pistol. It is a great conversation piece for sure.
  12. taylorpot

taylorpot New Member

What value would you place on the gun?
  13. oakridge

oakridge New Member

A .44-40 SAA in this serial range should have an etched panel. However, I'm not seeing that in your photos. Looks like a later roll stamped "Colt Frontier Six
    Shooter". Or, am I missing something here? Comments?
  14. muddober

muddober Active Member

Absolutely nothing, and neither does your post.:)

Ron
  15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Just makin a point dude.

I'd say it's worth around 1200-1500