1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Colt SAA Gen 1

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by SiGfever, Oct 16, 2009.

1. SiGfever

SiGfever New Member

Hello,
    I have a Gen 1 Colt SAA (.45 LC) in the original cardboard box that my father was given by his dad when he was sixteen (approx 1934). Serial number = 355xxx. I was wondering how to contact Colt to find out the value and history of this fine pistol. Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

SiGfever, welcome aboard and what a nice gun that you have brought with you. I am not a died in wool Colt guy, meaning I don't know anything about obtaining Colt records but I have bought and sold a few in my day and I would guess your gun is worth in the 5 to 7 thousand dollar range. There are far more knowledgeable guys here than me and this gun will drag them out I am sure.

Ron
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  3. Danny

Danny Member

Hello,
    If you could post the sn# there are guys here that can tell you when it was made & how much in the thousands the value is. Also give the cal of the weapon.
    Kind Regards
    Danny:)
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Welcome SiGfever, I'm no colt expert by any means but here is a tid-bit that might get you pointed in the right direction. As already posted, if you put the serial number up, I'm sure there will be a few in here that can steer you in the right direction. COLT'S MANUFACTURING COMPANY, INC. : SAA - 1st Generation Civilan/Commercial (Mfg. 1873-1940)
  5. Zane71464

Here is something found in the book...but not knowing Cal or serial#...its a shot in the somewhat the right direction.
    And I think Ron hit it pretty close on value;
    1st generation single action in excellent condition has gone from $250 in 1960 to approximately $8,000 ...but not knowing much info/serial# and cal is a guess. I'm sure one of the colt guys will jump in on this soon. Thats a very fine gun you have there.
  6. Twaits

Twaits Member

PLEASE join: www.coltforum.com and post this amazing gun.

The guys over there will DROOL over this gun. Also, all of the best online Colt experts are over there and will give you really excellent information.

Stunning SAA. Congratulations.

-Erik
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Barrel appears to say Colt Single Action Army 45.
  8. SiGfever

SiGfever New Member

Sorry for the lack of information posted. It is in .45 LC and the serial number is 355xxx.

The deterioration of the box was my fault as a kid, my dad kept all his firearms in like new condition.
  9. Zane71464

SiGfever, I have a bunch of books here and one is on Colts. And the books I have was dug out of an old garage from a family friend and all the books haven't yet been gone tru. What I do have on the Colt that is appears to be yours I'm still thumbing tru. Alot of the books I have have been totally abused and mice also have taken their toll on them as well. I'm no expert on Colts by any means but trying to get some info off the pages and get them on here.
    What I do have thus far on the Colt SAA .45LC is;
    SINGLE ACTION ARMY (SAA) - STANDARD MFG. Add to Collection
    - over 30 cals., six shot single action revolver, three standard barrel lengths. The 4 ¾ in. barrel had a two line address, while the 5 ½ in. and 7 ½ in. had a one line address. Blue with color casehardened frame or full nickel finish were both available. Of the many (36) calibers offered, .45 Colt was by far the most popular, accounting for 42% of total production, followed by .44/.40 (18%), .38-40 (11%), .32-20 (8%) and .41 (4.5%). One piece, varnished walnut grips were standard for the first ten years, then gradually replaced with two piece hard rubber. When grips are "not listed" on Colt historical letters, you should assume that they were the standard for their time period, either wood or rubber; not the pearl or ivory that someone added at a later date.
    And I'm still digging tru whats left of the book and whatever & whenever I find more I'll post it.
  10. SiGfever

SiGfever New Member

Thanks to all for the nice comments and for your research.
  11. Danny

Danny Member

Sorry about not seeing the cal. Pretty soon I will need a brail keyboard. By the way that was my great uncles pistol. It was taken by Rowdy Yatts when he got druck on the trail & taken while Unc was sleeping, LOL. That is the best Colt SA from that era I have ever seen. I love Colts almost as well as Lugers. However I collect 1911's, a 1913 being my baby. Congrats on such a fine firearm.
    Danny:):)
  12. SiGfever

SiGfever New Member

When my father came back from WWII he took apart three firearms and coated them in grease and wrapped them in wax paper. He then put them in a trunk until 1969 when I went to his family home in upstate NY and retrieved them. One was a P08 (1937 S/42), one was a P38, the the other was a 7.65 cal Menz auto.

The P38 and holster were stolen but I still have the Luger and Menz. I also have the holsters, they are in fantastic condition. I need to take some better pictures of them but here is one of the holsters..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

14. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF and a fine SAA you have there. Great to see another SIG enthusiast onboard !! :):cool:
  15. muddober

muddober Active Member

Danny, you can cancel your order for the brail keyboard, the caliber was not there when you first posted, SiGfever edited it in later.:D

Ron