Colt SAA questions

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hawgwild, Sep 10, 2006.

1. hawgwild

hawgwild New Member

I have several guns handed down to me which belonged to my grandad; one of which is a Colt SAA ser# 287XXX. My Mom put it in my care and when she visits we take it out back and run a few cylinders of 45 LC through it. My question is not of value as it will continue down to my sons. It is a 4 3/4 barrel, nickel plated and fully engraved by a man with initials L.S. The family is originally from Johnson City Tn. and I would like to know who the engraver might be. I have tried other sources for this. My grandad must have had a trigger job done as it is a very light and crisp pull. Also MOP grips. No need to bust my chops about shooting it as my 80 y.o Mom gets a real thrill out of shooting her Dads gun so we will continue, I had a competent smith check it out for tolerances and safety. If anyone can give any info as to who may have engraved I will be very grateful. Mom remembers her Dad shooting it into the 50's when he died, so work was prior to. Thanks again HW
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi HW......welcome to TFF.

Well, the first thing you need to determine is whether the engraving was done at the factory or after the pistol was purchased.

I'd suggest that you get a Colt Historical Letter (http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/historical.asp)

This will tell you how the gun was when it left the factory, and who the first purchaser was. If it was a factory engraved gun, perhaps they can also tell you who the engraver was.

Also, if it was engraved at the factory, there's a book.....Colt Engraving by R.L. Wilson, that might give you the info you want. It's a two volume set, and very expensive (http://www.wilsonbooks.com/ColtEngr.html), but perhaps a library near you might have some copies.

If it was engraved after the factory.......well, that's going to be a lot tougher.

If the first purchaser (the Historical Letter will tell you who that was) was a large wholesaler or large gunshop, perhaps they had some in-house engravers who did the work. If they're still in business, perhaps they can help you there.

If it was done by a small local craftsman.....well, that's going pretty hard to track down.

BTW, just in case you didn't know, your SAA was made in 1906.

Good luck....XR
  3. hawgwild

hawgwild New Member

Thank you very much for your time and directions on how I may resolve this. I lurk here often and have gained much by the vast info this provides and the people who share their knowledge. HW
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Hawg
    The link Xracer gave you for Colt is one of the easiest and most accurate historys you will find on it.