1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Colt SAA

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bjay, Aug 4, 2006.

1. bjay

bjay New Member

A while back my truck was stolen and the thieves made off with the contents which included a Colt SAA which belonged to a friend of mine. It had sentimental value to go along with its cash value. I was not in a position to replace the Colt with one of similar cash value at the time but am now (the gun was in my custody at the time it was stolen). Unfortunately I cannot replace the sentimental value my friend felt for the gun.

I'd like to know approximately what the Colt was worth when it was stolen. I know a reasonable amount about firearms but profess no expertise whatsoever with Colt Single Action Army's. I will do my best to describe the fiream and would very much appreciate your expert advice as to its approximate cash value.

The Colt SAA was of second generation manufacture (serial number is not available). It was a .44-40, blue with black rubber grip panels and an approximately 6-inch barrel. The bore and cylinders were pitted. The gun had approximately 50% of its original bluing left and was showing sufficient rust-through virtually everywhere that when wiped hard anywhere with an oily rag the rag turned brown instantly. Somewhere along the line someone managed to break off the front blade and it had been replaced with a carved chunk of genuine ivory wrapping a third of the way around the barrel that was fashioned into a new front sight blade. (The job appeared professionally done but I never figured out why someone would do that versus installing a new metal blade.) No major dings or dents or missing pieces. The gun had no box, papers, letters or any documentation of any kind. As far as I could tell the serial numbers matched on all the parts.

I would like to see if I can procure a Colt SAA of approximately the same cash value and need a place to start. I've been to the auction sites and it seems to me the range could be under a grand to several times that. Any help narrowing the range is most appreciated! Thank you!

bjay
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

A second generation Colt in the condition you describe is of no value to collectors, since it is a common model. Common second generation Colts are collectible only if they are in rare configurations and/or rare calibers. Common ones must be in outstanding condition, preferably new in the box to be of interest to collectors. All this means the SAA stolen from you is considered a "shooter" and would not be worth more that $600 to$700 at most. Are you sure the caliber was .44-40? The second generation pistols were not made in this caliber, but the third generation was. Maybe yours was .44 special? The serial number would tell us exactly.
  3. bjay

bjay New Member

Thanks wonderwhippet. I am sure you are correct about the caliber as all it said on the barrel was .44 and I just assumed it was .44-40 and not .44 Special. I told you I didn't know anything about Colt SAA and apparently I was right.

I was starting to think in about the cash value range you mentioned but knew I could be off a bunch. It belonged to my friend's uncle and thus it had more sentimental than monetary value which I unfortunately cannot replace.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Sorry, but this sounds strange. 2nd Gens were made from 1956 to to 1975 and it only had 50% finish? I've never seen a 2nd Gen in that poor a condition.

WW is right.....2nd Gens weren't made in .44-40, they were made in .44 Special. In 50%? condition, it would be worth about $600.

BUT......are you sure it was 2nd Generation? IF it was a 1st Gen, then we're talking BIG BUCK$.....in 50% condition, $2,400 to $8,000, depending on the serial # range.....and that's just for the Plain Jane versions.
  5. bjay

bjay New Member

Xracer,

I profess no expertise regarding Colt SAA. The reason I thought it was 2nd generation is that was what I was told by someone I thought knew what they were talking about (who had also seen and handled the gun). Unfortunately the serial number is unknown or I very likely could have recovered the firearm (the Austin Police told me they get back well over half the guns stolen locally if one can furnish them with a serial number).

Problem was this Colt was left in my truck without my knowledge and when the truck went so did the Colt. I never knew the serial number and the owner never recorded it. I never fondled the gun much but as I remember the caliber designation simply indicated .44 on the barrel. From your information it seems likely it was a 1st generation. It belonged to a great uncle of my friend who likely procurred it prior to 1956.

As I mentioned before I can replace the metal but not the sentimental value. If the gun was 1st generation perhaps the best I can do is purchase him a nice 3rd generation NIB and let him create a legacy with it he can hand to his daughters or a grandchild.

I really appreciate your information and deductive reasoning and for taking the time to reply.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Unfortunately bjay.....if it was a 1st Gen, there's no possible way of determining the value now.

Value depends on condition (OK, we have that), authenticity (no way of knowing), and series (determined by serial #).

Couldn't be 1st series (Early Black Powder), as they were only made in .45 Colt, but it could be anything from the Intermediate Black Powder SAA (serial #22,000 to 130,000) all the way up to the Late Smokeless Powder SAA (339,000 to 357,000) and everything in between......and these all affect value greatly.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help.
  7. bjay

bjay New Member

On the contrary Xracer; you and wonderwhippet were a lot of help. You prevented me from going on a wild goose chase after a gun that wouldn't have fit the need for my situation and kept me from trying to replace something with a comparable that wasn't comparable.

My friend didn't know what he had any more than I knew what he had; except that the gun belonged in the family. So it's possible he'll be very happy with a shiny new SAA to keep and pass down. (He's a knowledgable shotgunner and wingshooter, a social deer hunter and never owned a handgun before, or since, the Colt.)
  8. wonderwhippet

I suggest that instead of buying your friend a shiny new third generation SAA, you buy him instead a more desireable second generation showing a moderate amount of use. I'm sure he would like that better.......I know I certainly would.
  9. bjay

bjay New Member

Sounds like more good advice. Thanks again.
  10. don.o

don.o New Member

I have a 3rd gen. colt saa in new unfired condtion. No box, no papers, cal.is 45 lc and in bluefinish. Anyone have any idea what the worth is. Thanks Don
  11. wonderwhippet

If it's in 100% condition (that means without a scratch, no turn line on cylinder, absolutely mint condition) top price is $950. If it's been fired and shows even the slightest use, value drops to $700 or less. If it is marked "COLT COWBOY .45 COLT" on the left side, it is worth half those amounts.