Colt Series 80

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

pcgood
    (5/16/02 10:00:52 pm)
    Reply Colt Series 80
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Getting ready to purchase my first 1911 45, does anyone have any information on the quality and reliability of Colt's series 80? What should I expect?

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/16/02 10:29:12 pm)
    Reply Re: Colt Series 80
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, I had an enhanced model, 8 shot, that was a pretty good shooter. I did not have it tricked out or anything other than the way it came from the factory. Seemed to funtion well but I can't tell you what came down the line after they made mine I have heard a little grumbleing abot fit and finish in the series.
    cointoss2

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/16/02 10:45:29 pm)
    I have a LW Commander.....early 80 series and love it.....many-many rounds downrange...no hickups. Lightly tuned, but mostly stock. Best LTS
    T.F.F.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/16/02 11:07:59 pm)
    Re: Colt Series 80
    Nothing wrong with the Series 80 guns. People gripe about the extra parts, but for the majority of shooters its not even noticeable. Now, the 1991 series is a whole different story...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/17/02 3:34:59 am)

Love mine. 18yrs, ~45-50k rounds through it, including 2-1/2 IPSC seasons - 2 failed barrel bushings, broken front sight 2x, a new barrel link - other than that, has been rock solid, and all the rest of the parts tweaking has been optional / by choice.
    Still the original trigger assembly and barrel, too.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/17/02 7:11:50 am)
    Hi pcgood.....and welcome to TFF.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Colt....or a Kimber, Springfield, or Wilson. All top quality 1911s.

There have been periods when Colt quality has slipped a little, but even then, they were better than 90% of the other '11s out there.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/17/02 7:16:57 am)
    I have a standard model Series 80, blued. Straight out of the box new it was a fabulous shooter! I never have bothered tuning or messing with it - the gun shoots tight groups (and I ain't no pistolero!) and I am quite happy with it.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (5/17/02 7:20:45 pm)
    The Colt Series 80 has been given a bad rap because some gunsmiths could not do an excellent trigger job on them. This was due to the firing pin drop safety. I have owned a couple of these pistols and by using a "slot filler" was able to remove the firing pin safety and get a great trigger job. The part is available from Brownell's. Also, the final finish, tool marks,etc. have took away from the Series 80. A good pistolsmith can correct all these "problems" or you can shoot it as it comes out of the box. Good pistol either way. My 2 cents.