Colt Single action Bunt Line scout .22

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Nighthawl1, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Nighthawl1

Nighthawl1 New Member

This is a 9-1/2 " barel and is in top shape. What is this thing worth. I also have a couple of 12 gauge that are old. I will post their model #s later. Any help on this pistol?
  2. lilmule

lilmule New Member

While some guns of as little as ten inches were called buntlines by the populous,a true buntline was 12 in barrel with a 16 available and years later way after it was out of use an 18 for a movie for a few dollars more.
    A peacemaker normally had a 7 1/2,pic would help but sounds like you have a 9 1/2 in colt,serial number for age of mfg?
    Assuming it isnt of modern mfg and a plain jane guess 400-600,1903 colt would be worth more.
    Damacas double barrels from 1860 up 100 for a wall hanger to thousands,but the average shooter just never gained a lot in value,a new blackpowder is about same money couple of hundred.More modern ones breechloading still arnt worth a lot as use low power ammo.More modern normal steel barrel is worth more as uses normal ammo.Pics would sure help along with makers names etc,even the names tend to date the firearm.
    I have and shoot a db WM Moore and co 12 ga percussion(1860-65),plain jane worth about 200.Just because they are old dont mean they are worth a lot,colts normally bring big bucks but its not a buntline.Buntline 12 in couple thousand,16 in tens of thousands ,18 in you hit the superlotto. That misnomer buntline was applied to all of the long barrels later,but not by the company.1935 and 12 in would be a home run as made way after erp(1848-1929) was in the ground.Was more a product of imagination of a dime novel.
    Post some pics ,serial numbers etc some colt expert can then detail it for you.
    A model number,serial number which should give date of mfg etc all equal more $.than a 91/2 in colt of unknown model and date of mfg,as it those by which it gains in value,along with condition.Whats top shape mean-like a coin they are graded handle it much its worth less,patena?,percent of original blueing?wear?
    Ask me in a bar what id give for a 9 1/2 in colt-400 id be safe not sorry,know the model,serial number etc price doubles or triples,its like asking what is an 1910 us coin worth,what denomination,what mint,what grade.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I bought this one for my father back in '62 I think. I sold it four years ago for $375. It had a few scars from use but was at least a 95% gun. One of my friends loves the Scouts and has several. He bought one of the Buntlines last year for $475 and it was about a 98% gun. They are fun guns. His young grandson love shooting the Buntline and all the Scouts he has. There are several models of the Scout some with alloy frames some with steel frames. "Top" shape models will fetch around $600. A steel framed Scout Buntline will bring a premium of maybe twice the price of the others. Unfortunately mine was an alloy frame, ha.

Attached Files:

4. Nighthawl1

Nighthawl1 New Member

124380F is the serial #. this number is under the cylinder in front of the trigger guard. I would upload a pic. but i'm not good with computors. as for a "true" buntline, I'm going based on what is stamped on the side of the barrel.
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm no Colt expert so all I can do is tell you what I see in the book. The "F" suffix model had 246,000 units manufactured from 1957 to 1970. They were available in blue with bright alloy frame and all blue, with black composition or walnut grips. It is a Scout Buntline not to be confused with the larger framed center fire SAA Colt revolvers which also had Buntline models. Books are showing 100% guns in the $600 with 20% premium for the Buntline. All I am doing is spitting out what I have read so take it for what it is worth.
  6. Nighthawl1

Nighthawl1 New Member

Thank you for your input. I have a pretty good idea that it worth around 500.00 +- 20$