Colt Woodsman.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Ursus, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

I have a friend who owns a Colt Woodsman .22. He says that his pistol was made in 1917. Is that possible? I haven't seen the gun, so I cannot say anything about its condition, but what could be it worth?
  2. grdad45

grdad45 New Member

There was a Pre-woodsman made from 1915 to 1927. The 1st series Woodsman came out in 1927. Depending on which variation and it's condition, it could be worth from $200-$2700. So you see that an accurate estimate of the value would be difficult without a "hands-on" examination.
  3. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Thanks, Í'll try to get some photos of it. Do you know the differences between the Pre-Woodsman and the 1st series?
  4. grdad45

grdad45 New Member

Not really. If you use a search engine, you can find pictures. Also you might contact Colt itself.
  5. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

try www.coltautos.com serial # wood help. $2700?? mebbe 4 a factory engraved with box and papers and like 98%. Blue book and Krause show a range between $200-$1500. Remember CONDITION IS KING!! These are fine pistols worth owning, the early series should not be shot with modern Hi-Vel ammo. again.erial # will tell alot.

Wotever U do, dont bleeve a werdaa enidamting dat chippflliper frumda nothdallsfoty puts out---4sure.
    RU lisnin goodbudi??:cool:
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Eyeb cherju dumi janki! :eek:
  7. grdad45

grdad45 New Member

I know the $2700 IS high, but I have seen them priced that high like you said, engraved, etc. So I included it to show him the complete range of value.
  8. LorrB

LorrB New Member

I have a Colt .22 Woodsman Match Target Pistol (serial #MT4577)...by the serial # I found that it was made in 1917. I am trying to sell it....I was told I can get up to $2000 for it. Would this be the right price for it?
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

My source says MT4577 was made in 1939; the MT series did not begin until 1938, so 1917 is incorrect. The original MT Woodsman can bring almost twice that that if in like-new condition with the box and and with the original "elephant ear" grips.

Lesser condition would bring less, of course, and there is no way anyone can even make a guess without good, clear, pictures.

Jim
  10. LorrB

LorrB New Member

OK, thanks for the info.