Combat Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 45Smashemflat, Sep 22, 2004.

1. woozyduke

woozyduke New Member

I have a model 19-5 that Iam selling..its called a combat magnum...its the model all the bullseye shooters use if they shoot a wheel gun! OR at least the one they would like to be shooting!
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

According to my book (mentioned above), the S&W model 48 is called the K-22 Masterpiece Magnum Rimfire. That applies to the 4, 6 or 8 3/8 inch barrels. Discontinued in 1986.
  3. Colonel Plink

Colonel Plink New Member

Nice batch o' revolvers, wundudnee. Thanks for the information. My arsenal of Smith and Wessons contains exactly ONE gun. But it's a beaut. A model 28-2 that's already halfway through it's second blue. Wouldn't trade it for anything I can think of. And I'm ALWAYS thinking of guns. :D
  4. punchie

punchie Member

Revolvers........Nobody shoots revolvers........do they?

[​IMG]
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

OK OK what do you want in trade for the third from the top far left
    My wife my dog my truck or my cat :D ;)
  6. Captain Sawdust

Captain Sawdust New Member

I signed up after reading these comments. About 40 years ago, while in the Army overseas, I purchased a brand new S&W .22 revolver. I kept the box and papers for years, but I can't locate them now. I always thought it was a "K22 Masterpiece". It is not marked with a model number so I don't know if it is a Model 18 (although I suspect it is). The gun is blue with a four inch barrel, adjustable rear and ramp front sights. It came with "slab" walnut grips. I installed oversize S&W Combat Grips that I purchased from S&W (I wish I had that box too). It currently has full rubber grips. The serial number begins with a K followed by six numbers (K54XXXX). I figure it was made in the early 60's because I bought it in 1964 at the Rod & Gun Club in Taiwan. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't much. My uncle raised me and he had a revolver just like it. He told me several times, "it's a K22 Masterpiece, a .22 built on a .38 frame". It's in pretty good shape, it has some holster wear on the end of the barrel. Any idea of the value? I intend to keep it, probably for my grandson. I need an idea of value for insurance purposes. Thanks!
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Open up the crane and look at the bottom front under the barrel. There should be a model # there. Also, add another number to the serial number, 10,000 numbers will span a few years.

What is the percentage of blue left on the gun?
  8. Bill

Bill New Member

I have a model 15 with the 8 3/8 inch barrel. Handsome piece, shoots like a dream. This is my favorite revolver at the range. The long sight radius helps me keep consistent tight groups. The long barrel also makes the recoil VERY tame and allows quick return to aim point. Bill
  9. Captain Sawdust

Captain Sawdust New Member

I found the Model Number where you said it would be; Mod. 18-2. I would love to add another number to the serial number, but there are only six digits. K54XXXX. I noticed some of the other guys listed a number before the "K", but mine does not hvae one. I estimate the blue is 95% present. There is a very small triangular patch of "white" on the tip of the barrel on the side the cylinder swings out, and an even smaller spot on the other side. I carried the gun in and unlined right handed holster. Thanks!
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Gun made in 1963. In 95% = $250 add $30 if TT and TH.
  11. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I recently bought a Mod. 18 (no suffix) Combat Masterpiece. Serial number k3363xx, which makes it a 1958 manufacture, I believe. The mod. 18s were the companion to the mod.15s, just cheaper to shoot. What beauty! For being 50 years old it has only slight holster wear. That's when the USA made quality items.