Combat Ops After Action Reports

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Admin, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/3/02 12:43:31 am)
    Combat Ops After Action Reports
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently came across some interesting info regarding my unit while in the bushes .....

They call it a "Combat Operations After Action Report".

Basically ..... After all is said and done with various combat situations the leader of the pack per say has to return to the rear and fill out various details of what had transpired. Kinda like a wartime diary ... Of course many of these are probaly still considered classified but hey ... It was a long time ago and who cares with the exception of some nervous politicians of course that don't wish to be embarassed for their goof-ups.

Anyway I came across one of these that was in reference to an operation I took part in back in November of 1967. Operation Essex to be exact that took place in the Antenna Valley. It really helped to jog yet a few more of the memories yet it does not go into any great details or blow by blow actions so to speak.

We began that Operation on the 6th of November and it was a very long nite after being totally surrounded ... although they never say the word "surounded" but rather something like "heavy resisitance which made evac impossible" .....

On this particular day we headed up to assist H Company who had ran into some "real heavy shit" and in turn we got caught up in it as well. Even tells in there where our aircraft dropped CS gas on both our companys area in hopes of keeping "Charles" off our ass through the evening and even when Puff and flareship Spooky did some fly bys as us fellers on the ground were in some deep doo-doo for sure.

I am going to attempt to copy and paste one of the many excerpts from this report to see how it turns out as the copys are not all that great but I will try anyhoo ....

An example right off the get-go is the date and time which reads as follows:

At 061600H .... which interpreted 06 is the date and 1600H is 1600 Hours or 4:00 PM to you civies .... At the end of this particular paragraph it even shows how many KIAs we all had as well on this first day of the Operation ....

Gonna give it a try here ... Some interseting stuff ....

Six

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/3/02 1:26:04 am)
    Re: Combat Ops After Action Reports
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well gang ..... Hang with me here a bit because I have to figure out some other way to get this thing into a word document as it is in the form of a jpg and I can't get it to copy and paste. You know us computer illiterates ...

I'll keep tryin tho .... Eventually I will figure out what I am suppose to do here ...

Six

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/4/02 9:00:51 pm)
    try saving it as a .BMP format and then it should cut and paste into word...

out
    Esse Quam Videri

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 10:50:46 am)
    Gonna try it this way and see if it is somewhat readable ....

BOY! Does this thing bring a chill and some goosebumps ...

As you all are aware ... I was a member of Company "G" and this particular paragraph shows where we came up behind "H" Company who was pinned down .... They dropped CS gas all over the place but it was ineffective and we (G) went ahead and gave it our best shot anyway but came under heavy (and I do mean HEAVY) enemy automatic weapons fire and were turned back ... We all (both G & H) were surrounded throughout the night in one small rice paddy and Puff was called in for support throughout the night. At the bottom it shows all the stats KIA & WIA for this one particular engagement .... First day of Operation Essex which took place in Antenna Valley in November 1967 ....

[​IMG]

Six Out!

Mithrandir
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 11:13:52 am)
    You gotta be kiddin me???

these guys actually tried to use air-delivered CS to suppress an enemy force in VN??

Of course it never settled to the ground... unless the temp was under 50% the damn stuff floats!!!

It is a micropulverized powder and unless it is in some other binding (something to bind to it and make it sink) it won't come down...

hell,, CS grenades would have been better because they spew while on the ground.... it will then rise a bit....

they shoulda used CN/s... now THAT stuff settles to the ground in any temp about 10%...

and yes.....

That report does make the hair on the back of my neck prickle.....

thanks Six.....

out..
    Esse Quam Videri

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 11:32:20 am)
    As shown in the "results" .....

USMC KIA totaled 23 ....
    Hotel Co. 17
    Golf Co. 6

Our WIA status was 56 after they pounded us all night long with small arms fire ... grenades and mortars.

The 17 Marine KIAs from Hotel Company were found the next morning as we re-assaulted the village the morning after. They were cut down by automatic weapons fire and layed in that stinking rice paddy water all night long because we could not get to them. Their bodies were but a mere 30 feet from the villages' treeline as the enemy let them get that close before they cut them down.

We lost our six when we tried to assault the village from the right flank while wading through a river. I was about the 7th or 8th man back in the column and the point man was shot in the head when they opened up on us with RPDs (the NVA version of a machine gun). His body floated right past me downstream as we hugged the banks of the river and attempted to move forward but the enemies positions and extreme gunfire forced us back even though we attempted to move forward while returning fire.

Needless to say the water was red with American blood on that late afternoon and it was a day that I will "NEVER" forget.

BUT .....

In the early morning hours of the next day and surviving combat all night long after being surrounded and finally advancing upon that village .......

The sight of those 17 Hotel Company Marines lying there was even worse for many of us ..... Myself included!

Upon enetering the treeline and the village contained therein .....

We found one scrawny dog and a wounded female civilian .....

A few freshly dug graves .....

As was the case many a time ....

The NVA had snuck out quick before we had an opportunity to "return the favor" .....

The dog and woman were terminated with "extreme prejudice" and the villgage was burned to the ground and leveled by our engineers' expertise of explosives ....

It was then time to move on farther into the Valley for yet another ten more days of fighting .....

Imagine if you will just how many more we lost on Essex as this was only the first day in Antenna Valley.

That particular night .....

The one where we got caught with our asses hangin' out in the breeze and Charlie "had us cold" ....

That had to be the longest night of my entire life and I was damned suprised to have been allowed by the "Supreme Commander Upstairs" to see the light of day after such a dark night that was filled with horror.

For those 23 Marines .....

Rest Well Brothers ....

Six

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 7:25:25 pm)
    The paragraph in the above post was just one of many and from page #8 of the After Action Report.

This particular one was from page #2 under a section that was entitled: "Air Support" .....

[​IMG]

More chills up the spine .....

Six

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (11/6/02 11:57:35 pm)
    and that my friends is what you call the Vietnam Hubs Of Hell!

Anyone who has or had the idea that it was a party over there for the GI's is sadly mistaken.

Good post Six, I am proud of you for being able to post it for us.

Hope

cricket328
    (11/9/02 4:52:46 am)
    Six,

I can't begin to describe how I felt while reading your post. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Chris

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (11/10/02 10:07:31 pm)

Six,
    Thank God you are alive to relate this story to us.
    Brought back some Delta memories that I had pushed into a corner & tried to forget.
    We didn't have mtns & valleys, but we had treelines and canals and little mean sob's trying to kill us.

May God bless Us All.
    Endeaver to Persevere