Coming Home

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/18/01 6:09:18 pm)
    | Del All Coming Home
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What are your best memories of coming home? I know for me it was seeing my 2 1/2 year old son, wife, family and friends.. and beyond that.......the freedom of going out at night. Taking a daily shower. Of going anywhere I wanted. Eating hamburgs and french fries and shakes. Having a car at my finger tip to go where I wanted. Wearing other than a uniform. Not being shot at and seeing the horrors of combat. Probably a thousand other things.......... What are your best memories of coming home?

Edited by: dap22 at: 5/18/01 7:20:07 pm

hope6970
    (5/18/01 11:13:25 pm)
    | Del Re: Coming Home
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dap22,

Some of the best memories of coming back home was the sight of my family standing at the airport waiting for me. Another was seeing all kinds of Americans, big - small- fat - tall - skinny, male and female running around without black pajama bottoms and white tops with those coned shaped straw hats.

I throughly enjoyed going back into restaurants, shopping and as you say getting back into a car. I can remember my parents wouldn't let me drive for awhile, they said I was too nervous to get behind the wheel of a car, I guess especially if they were in it...lol

My parents had kept my horses all the time I was away in the military and I was glad to get back to the farm life just one more time and every day drown myself with lots of milk. - Hope

Copr6
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (5/19/01 6:54:57 am)
    When I came home there was nothing particular special about it. I was happy though to see my kids. But, "coming home" was just another day, so to speak. A transition that happened to me that, because of my age...I didn't fully appreciate at the time. "Coming Home" now, would definetly be something that I would place a very high value on. But, this appreciation has developed over the years.

homer4
    (5/24/01 1:09:54 pm)
    Had a kinda unique coming home in that I called my brother Earl who deciided to live north east of Oakland with his new wife maybe a year perhaps two upon his return from the Nam,and Suzie drove down to Ft Ord and picked me up to stay with them for a bit.It so happened that my other brother Chris was finishing his tour in Thailand and would be coming in another week or so,so I waited for him aand what a great time we had together. California was great,and Butts(Earls knick-name) took us all aroud San Francisco and the beaches...it was terrific.

We stayed about two weeks or so...forget offhand,but eventually we (Chris and I) caught a flight home to Friendship Airport(BWI now) and fom there we split a cab all the way home to surprise our parents...we never notified them we were coming home.True story guys!

Like to gave Mom a heart attack! and when my step-father got home from work...should seen the look on his face! Man that was great!...got a little chewing out by Mom,but she soon laughe with the rest.

They rented the North Point Village Democratic Club for a party for us...relatives and family...it was terrific.

The only time I enjoyed anything that was remotely Democratic.Hehehe!

...and two hard boiled eggs.

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/25/01 6:14:29 pm)
    This is a little different reply, as it's from the "other side"...the perspective of someone who's waiting at home for her guy to return.

Hubby's base of record on his last tour (9-month PCS) was Nha Trang. He'd been in country at Tan San Hout, with a couple of weeks in Thailand, on an AF 4-month TDY (temporary duty) before that. Shortly after arriving at Nha Trang, he volunteered for some TS duty at a different base. And, because of this, he couldn't tell me exactly where he was. I was pretty ragged around the edges after Tet '68, with the "not knowing"....what with all the images I'd seen on the news, in the paper. We planned to marry just as soon as he got home and we could get the license, blood test, etc. Plus, I was still in high school, trying to keep up my grades, doing the normal H/S activities, and basically trying to act "normal". Every opportunity I had, I'd go to the post office..sometimes 4 times a day. The post office would put up mail everytime the train came thru...as long as it was during their business hours. I figured as long as I got a letter, he was safe, or was safe however may days ago that it took a letter to arrive. (Can't remember...think it was at least 3-4 days...maybe more).

After graduation, I went to work 2nd shift at the local Texas Instrument plant. We didn't know exactly when he'd be home...probably some time in early July. During the summer,
    TI had what it calls "mass vacation", where all the people with seniority would take a 2-week vacation at the same time around July 4th. Those of us with no seniority would get to fill their shifts, so I got to work 1st for a couple of weeks.

My supervisor was a very serious, somber looking man...close, beady eyes, too...probably kicked dogs, cats, & little children when no one was lookin'. Don't think I ever saw him smile. (A real a**hole.) One day while on 1st shift at work, he answered the phone, then walked over to me and said there was someone in the lobby to see me, but Sorry...since it was not break time, he could not let me go to find out what it was about. (Did I mention he was an a**hole.) After goin' for several days without a letter, I was panicked...frantic...worried sick, already. This did not help, because, I'd already thought about how long it would take any bad news to reach me, not being the next of kin. After I sat down at my work station and cried, and basically made a spectacle of myself, he finally relented and let me go down. (He was an a**hole!!!!)

I fully expected to hear the worst...but instead, it was a friend of hubby's who was goin' to the airport to pick him up and wanted me to go, if I could. I was elated! I couldn't go, but got to hubby's Mom's and Dad's as soon as I could. Will never forget that day!!!

Sharon

Remf
    (5/26/01 7:51:49 pm)
    | Del Coming back
    I got a whole ten days Statside before getting on a plane for Germany. I remember the 1st round eyed beauty I met in Washington (a waitress in a cafe, also my 1st non-military meal in a year) She seemed to be really glad to have a vet to talk to. A short visit home then on to Europe.

oneknight
    (5/26/01 7:58:25 pm)
    So Sharon..let me make sure I have this story straight,
    your supervisor was a real ASSHOLE. lol!

Indybear57
    (5/26/01 10:03:26 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Coming Home
    Sharon-What were your REAL feelings about your supervisor. You're among friends here so don't be afraid to let it all out!

oneknight
    (5/27/01 9:56:17 am)
    Sharon,

DON'T HOLD BACK.......TELL US HOW YOU FEEL! (lol!)

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/29/01 10:20:59 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Would he be the poster boy for the A-Hole club Sharon?

gene29223
    (5/29/01 12:16:28 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Almost sounds like he was a founding member of that club.
    Hope he got his one day.

Take care, Gene

homer4
    (5/29/01 9:49:10 pm)
    I don't believe it's an almost Gene...it's a definite.

He will one day and guess where he's going to get it.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/30/01 9:39:27 am)
    he he he

Guess I conveyed that part well. Company dropped by that day as I was posting
    and had to rush it up. Sowwy....What I was tryin' to get across was the sheer
    terror I felt at someone being in the lobby to see me at work, and not being able to go down to find out what it was all about. In my mind, it had to be very bad news.

{Kicks a dust bunny under the desk, and sighs..wish I was a better at writing and
    keepin' those thoughts together }
    Sharon

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/30/01 2:33:19 pm)
    Sharon;
    In CA we would classify your supervisor as a Royal, Ruby-Red Rimmed @$$hole! We have so many in public office that we have a separate identification system for various categories. I'm glad you finally got to see your future hubby.
    Mike H