Commander at the Range...UPDATE

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/10/02 2:52:03 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Commander at the Range...UPDATE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finally got my new commander to the range today. Shot pretty darn sweet. I will get a couple of targets scanned later today or tomorrow and post 'em.

Sam, she wouldn't cycle the 4.6gr. paper poppers...guess the spring is too strong for 'em. It did, however, eat 5.0gr. swc like it was caviar. But overall, it, of course, loved the ol' 230 gr. ball more than anything...smooth as silk.

Overall, worth every pennt of the $400. No disappointment at all.

Target is 8.5" x 11"

"A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"

Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

Edited by: boomatic at: 11/11/02 8:25:16 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/11/02 1:29:19 am)
    Re: Commander at the Range
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You did real fine there Boomy!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/11/02 9:19:28 am)
    Reply Re: Commander at the Range
    Boom.....if you'd like to shoot light loads, it's easy to make a spring that works.

Buy a regular replacement spring.....measure the overall length.

Cut off one coil, and stretch the spring to it's original length. Try it with the light load.

Just keep cutting off one coil at a time (always stretching it back to it's original length) until it cycles properly with your light load. Then mark an end with some white paint (so you don't confuse it with a regular spring).

I've got 6 or 7 "custom" springs I've made to use in my Commander and various 1911s depending on the load I'm using.

Edited by: Xracer at: 11/16/02 8:58:56 am

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/11/02 9:40:01 am)
    Thanks for the advice Xracer. It was her first time out...since I owned her...and she did fine overall. I was experimenting with shooter45's load suggestions. The 5.0 grain was plenty light, I thought and it cycled fine. The 4.6 was so light you could hardly tell it was there. I shot some of that 4.6 through my SA Ultra Compact V-10 and it felt like a .22! It cycled through that fine. I'll try the spring customization.

"A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/12/02 8:00:36 am)
    If you're loading those paper poppers yourself, a nice load is 3.5 gr. of Bullseye with 200 gr. SWC. They might even cycle with your standard spring.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/12/02 8:40:17 am)
    I'll give it a try...always lookin' for fun loads.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (11/14/02 6:26:25 pm)
    Boomatic,

The Commander should have a 20 lb. spring. Try a 16-18 lb. spring and the 4.6 gr. load should work fine.

BTW, good shooting.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/14/02 7:39:40 pm)
    Yessir...I will do that. It was, as before, tons 'o' fun shootin' those light loads. Heck, even good 'ol ball is nice with the porting on the V-10. I will never part with my Colts, but that Springfield is a joy...and thanks for the shootin comment!!!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/16/02 8:58:03 am)
    Boom.....just as a bit of a caution....if yours is a Lightweight Commander, you want to use the strongest spring that will cycle with a particular load. An alloy frame doesn't take kindly to the slide slamming too hard on it over a prolonged period of time.......but I DO love my LW Commander!

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/17/02 2:16:26 pm)
    Nope...all steel. But thanks!