common good results for 22 ammo or the mfgr of the gun?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by rangerruck, Nov 6, 2005.

1. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

just finished another test today with approx 75 different brands/types of 22 ammo. i have a Marlin mod 60 that is my total target shooter, i treat it very genteel, but i did not use this for testing. instead i used a rifle that i have been working on, and hacking up ,that i am going to sell to some lucky person who gets it, next weekend at the GRB GUN SHOW here in Houston. it is a mod 75 , i hacked, cut, and chopped up, painted everything, black on black on black, with rubber paint, enigne block paint and truck bedliner paint. Put a small bushy 3x9x32 scope on it , WW11 leather strap sling, and a harris bipod. even painted the scope a little bit , just to flatten it out a little. scope, even during the testing ,slides a bit, because i'm using some ultrahigh see through sites. shot it fast and furious tonight, from about 3.3o pm to 7 pm. tested all the ammo i put up on the bench. the results?
    Almost identical to my known bench shooter, the preferred group of ammo is the Aguila. Oh yes it shoots a minimag here pretty good, and a red box fed and a red box am erican eagle ok. but if i want a whole group of high veolcity ammo to count on , with no fliers, no squibs or misfires, and can make it a one whole punch if i REALLY TRY? then i will pull out the Aguilas, and put in some work, yes the eleys were a tiny tad more accurate, particularly in the yellow box, but they are not high velocity , now are they? so do you guys get similar results with ammo in the same mfgr guns but different ammo shoots better results with different mfgr guns?
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  2. yoric

yoric Former Guest

I don't trust Mexican "quality control" much, but if a .22 fails, it's almost never a big deal, so whatever floats your boat.
  3. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

[​IMG]
  4. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

okay, i give, what is that thing?
  5. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I don't know either,but if I saw it in a dark alley I would probably shoot it.
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Don't be talkin' trash about my EX! Terry
  7. KimberLover

KimberLover New Member

This may be the Tooth Fairy of the shooting sports, or maybe the lead cheerleader of my high school rally squad...not sure which. :confused:
  8. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

remember, all aguilas use eley primers, which are the finest in the world. If you ever find an article on how eley makes their components, you will be in awe!
  9. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Not quite, rangerruck.

They use Eley priming, which is not the same as Eley primers. What that means is they bought Eley equipment and use the Eley formulation, paying Eley a royalty on every round sold. Eley doesn't make their primers, they make their own, to Eley specs.

Which is good enough to say that the Aguila priming components are top-notch!
  10. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

your right, i should have been a little more clear on that, same as i like to by chilean and venezuelan surplus 308 for my post ww2 mauser, they bought a bunch of machinery and specs and stuff from germany, and that cheapy stuff is a one whole punch in my rifle.
  11. res1b3uq

res1b3uq New Member

I've shot Aguila SE standard velocity with good results. I ordered some Aguila target, but it's not here yet. I'll check it against Wolf MT and see what the results are. The standard velocity is not as accurate as Wolf, but is a lot cheaper.
  12. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

YesterdayI ran some several different ammos through my Old Mossberg Target this rifle is scoped and was on a bag. Shooting 5 shot groups at 25 yrds. of Aguila Std Vel, Green tag, Federal Champion, and Rem Thunderbolt.
    Aguila gave the tightest group under a 1/2" of 4 out of 5 but one would be flyer out as much as 2".
    The Federal and Green Tag groups were over 1" with a few flyers.
    The cheapo Thunderbolt gave consistant groups under 1"

The Thunderbolt was also very good out to 130 yards to bust some clays we had set up on the range berm.

I have a Marlin 60 that hatesThunderbolt