Compact 1911 holster options

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Chadk, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Chadk

Chadk New Member

can you reccomend a less expensive Pancake type holster with cant for Conseal Carry of a compact (3.5) 1911.
  2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I went through the same thing a few months back and found there is no such thing as a cheap comfortable holster. I did end up getting a galco king tuck holster and it is very comfortable. It wasnt real expensive around 50 bucks but a lot more comfortable than most I have. Carver another member here uses a holster that goes around you and the gun sort of sits in a pouch. Im sure he will be along shortly and give you more information on the type it is. He said it is very comfortable. I just dont remember the name or how it is worn.
  3. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

The least expensive OWB I own is a Hume 721OT made for the Glock 30. It is a decent price for leather, good quality, and carries the weapon tight to the body. I would not hesitate to recommend it for a compact 1911. A little more expensive, but very well made, is the Simply Rugged, Silver Dollar Pancake by Rob Leahy.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can help it, dont skimp on your holster...buy the galco or something comparable and you wont be sorry. It only seems expensive now, but will last a long time and is worth every dime. Your holster is a piece of your clothing and a tool and it needs to be good quality.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    How do you dress? I'm usually in T shirt, basketball shorts, and sandles.
  6. Chadk

Chadk New Member

Winter is jeans and a belt, summer cargo style shorts mostly with a belt.

I wear dress pants to work, but unfortunatally cant carry at work.
  7. Chadk

Chadk New Member

i have an idea of what I'm going to get for an IWB holster for this gun, but especially in the winter with a jacket if I can get away with OWB that should be more comfortable. I just got the 3.5" 1911 and cant wait to carry.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

A shirt, one size too large will cover a 1911A. I use a Yaqui style belt slide holster. A 1911A is heavy enough, I don't need a 5 pound holster to add to the weight.
  9. Double D

As long as you dont have leather furniture, you can use a slide holster that your barrel sticks out of. If you are sitting on furniture that you are concerned about, you may want to make sure your holster covers your barrel. I am speaking from experience.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

Did you poke a hole, or just scratch it up? We don't own leather covered anything. Neither of us like sitting on leather.
  11. Double D

Scratched it and caught it before it got worse. I never had anything leather until a few months ago the wife wanted leather furniture and I dont care one way or the other. I get her whatever she wants and I get me whatever I want. Works out real good.
  12. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Dan you said you caught it before it got too bad. Were you able to repair it or just not make it any worse? I did the same thing to my wifes Grand Cherokee seat. Just a scratch but its ugly. I also caught the steering wheel when getting in and scratched that.
  13. Double D

I saw where I had made a mark and I stopped sitting with the pistol right away until I got a galco holster that covered the entire barrel. I was just so use to sitting in fabric furniture that I didnt give it any thought.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

I would never have thought about it either!
  15. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

I go back and forth between a Don Hume JIT Slide and my Foubus Paddle holster. The Fobus weighs nothing, is totally indestructable, and allows me a lightning fast draw! I use one for all of my .45 autos, and have one for my Ruger LC9 as well.

If I am not mistaken the Fobus comes with a lifetime warranty. They are not that expensive either!