Compact 9'er....recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by thomas44, Dec 26, 2011.

1. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I'm considering purchasing one of the following for a CCW pistol. Anything you recommend ? Anything I should consider regarding one over another ?
    Glock 19, S&W M&P9C, Ruger SR9, Sig P250C

As of right now, I'm leaning toward the Glock 19, but only slightly. Any thoughts ?
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

One of the Old Guys purchased a Ruger SR9 and the trigger pull was horrendously heavy with lots of creep. He sent it back and Ruger improved it a bit but it is still not good. I understand that is a problem with the SR9 but was improved with the SR9C. With all the good options out there and as much of a Ruger fan that I am I would still stay clear of the SR9. I only have one Glock, a 19, and while it isn't much to look at :D it was the easiest to shoot well pistol I ever picked up.
  3. protective measures

protective measures New Member

The glock 19 is by far the most commonly chosen platform by our students.
    It is also very common with most of the top Firearm Instructors domestically & overseas.
    While it may not be the gun for everyone there is a reason why so many professionals prefer it.
    One other popular option we see often that you didn't mention is the Kahr CW9 .
    If possible, find a range or gunstore that would let you shoot the ones you are interested in.
    Guns are like shoes, no one can tell you what you will like but you'll know it when you find it.
    Best of luck picking the one that works for you.
  4. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I would also look into the Springfield XD sub compacts of that size gun.
  5. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I have the Ruger SR9c and I can tell you first hand its a shooter for sure. The trigger is great, a bit crisp but smooth and steady. I would highly recommend this firearm for CCW purposes. Its very solid.
  6. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Thanks, guys. I'm well aware that it's my choice, just thought I'd get some input from some folks that have shot and/or owned some of the above-mentioned pistols. One minor reason for looking into the Glock is I've never owned one. I'm 48 years old and have never owned a Glock, so I thought I might see what the buzz is all about !
  7. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

+1 on the SR9c- trigger pull is fine, a bit long but what striker-fired pistol isn't? Not to mention for CC, self-defense, the long pull is preferable to many folks.
  8. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

9. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I never really understand the popularity of the Glock. I was a gun owner for many years and told myself I don't need or want one of those. I got a Glock 17 this year and let me tell you it is awesome. I certainly am a Glock fan now and recommend everyone have at least one in their arsenal. Its a dam solid gun, great shooter and just smells of innovation that works.

That all being said I still prefer my Ruger SR9c for carry.
  10. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Oh my....Vances Shooters Supply in Columbus, Ohio is selling XD compacts in your choice of 9mm or 40 cal for $390. Hmmmm....this might be a game-changer.
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would probably save a little and go with the springfield XDM compact. It is an excellent choice for a carry gun.
  12. glowdotGlock

glowdotGlock New Member

I'd go with the Glock. But hey, I'm a Glock guy anyway. I carry the 23 which is the same size. Another I carried for a while is the Kel-Tec PF9. It was a solid little gun. I ended up selling it. It was one of those "going to the mailbox" guns. Easy to stick in the pocket.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have owned three of the four that you mentioned. I have never had a Ruger SR9 so I can't say anything for or against it. I still have a Glock .40S&W but I never shoot it. I just don't like the thing and I don't know why!

I bought a S&W M&P and I liked it OK with the exception of the way you disassembled it. It seemed a little complicated to remove something from the butt to stick down inside the slide to pull some lever back to remove the slide. I kept it for about a year then unloaded it on a friend of mine who really wanted it. He sold it a little while later!!

I own a Sig P250C in 9mm and I do love it. At first I hated the "striker" fired thing but it kind of grew on me. After about a year, I bought a .40S&W Xchange kit for it so I now have two pistols/calibers in one. Earlier this year I bought a P250C in .45ACP, too. Even though the 250 is plastic, I have learned to like them. It is a very accurate gun, in all three calibers.

I have gone a round about way to recommend the Sig P250C.

PS: I have bought two different Springfield XD's (one a regular XD and the other an XDM) and just did not like the way they felt in my hand.
  14. Airdale

Airdale Member

:yeahthat::thumbsup:
  15. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Colt Defender 4 me.

[​IMG]