The Firearms Forum banner

compact revolver with folding triger

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  judety 
#1 ·
I have a small compact pistol with a folding trigger. There are no makers name or caliber on it, I tried a 22mag and it fits fine but not sure if this is the correct caliber. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough for any help you can give me. Thanks!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It is Belgian, made for the 5.6mm Velodog cartridge. It dates to about the 1890's. The cartridge name comes from a combination of Velocipede (an old name for a bicycle) and "dog"; the guns were made for use by bicyclists to defend themselves against attacks by dogs.

Similar revolvers of that era have much shorter cylinders and were made for other cartridges; some people lump them all under the "Velodog" label, but actually only those made for the Velodog cartridge, like yours, are true Velodog revolvers.

Value is not high, but a true Velodog brings a bit more than other similar guns. I would WAG at $150. The .22 Magnum will fit, but would not fire, as the Velodog cartridge is center fire. (It is good that the .22 Magnum would not fire; it would probably blow the old gun apart.)

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.