compair 300 win mag to 300 weatherby mag

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by soundguy, Oct 13, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I think I had a thread asking about differences in 30 savage, win mag and weatherby.. but for the life of me can't find it.

is the weatherby the more powerfull? I heard the savage was the elast.. just couldn't rememebr where the winmag/wthby were to each other...

thanks
  2. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

Seems to go: 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 Win. Mag, then 300 Savage in terms of kinetic energy.

I'd go with the 300 winchester mag due to ammo availability. The marginal power difference isn't worth the hassle to actually find ammo for rare chambers in my opinion.
  3. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Weatherbys on average from my experience are usually larger cases than other cartridges on the same platform. Only ones that are the same size or larger would be Ackley Improved.
    As mentioned the ammo and brass for Weatherbys would be harder to find most places. They make nice guns though. You need to decide if the initial price of the gun and the subsequent higher prices for brass or ammo is worth it.
  4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Unless you reload the wetherby is also more costly to shoot for minimal returns. Between the 300 savage and the 300win mag is the 308 and 30-06. What do expect to use any of these for. Simple look at a ballistics chart or even wiki each cartidge will read about the difference.
  5. soundguy

so far, looking at ammo at the last 4 shows I've been to. i could have walked home with as much 300 weatherby as I could have carried.. er.. could have paid for.. never did see any win mag.. and did see 1-2 boxes of savage, 1 time. weatherby ammo was prtetty steep.. but then i figured it would be. Hornady in 300 weatherby was a little less spendy tho.

not so much looking for a shooter... but something that looks nice. I do like the look of that 300 savage witht he metal lower strap and the leveraction though...
  6. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

The .300 Weatherby delivers a distinct improvement in the heavy bullet end of the loading spectrum. It can send a 200 gr. bullet downrange at least 150 fps faster than the win mag which might make a difference when shooting at tough animals like moose or grizzly bear. The Mk V's as a general rule aren't the most accurate rifles but there are exceptions. Weatherby only guarantees 1.5" at 100 yards using factory ammo. I built a rifle off of a Mk V action in .340 Weatherby for my best friend that shoots 1/4" groups using handloads, so there are exceptions.
  7. soundguy

wow.. 1.5" at 100yds. I beat that with my rem 700 30-06

my mk5 using a redfield scope beats that too.
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I only have a couple Weatherbys, but they are all .75 three shots at 100 yards or less. I've never seen a Weatherby that was 1 1/2 inches myself and a bunch of my buddies all shoot 30-378s.

I'm kinda torn between max loads (105-107 grains RL22) that give ya 3700 with 165 grain bullets; my friends, not I. Or my 98 grains RL-22 with 180 TTSX's that go 3260. If ya ever had a real tight bolt, you'd think about what you are doing. I once had an expensive box of Weatherby ammo $129, 30-378 that gave me a tight bolt when my 98 grain reloads didn't. The factory ammo chronoed at 3600. Turned out batch had been recalled, very uncommon I do believe. Needless to say, I don't push it nowadays.

Moose go down easy if ya can hit a 12 inch circle. I saw an old Indian Woman kill 30-40 moose over the years with an old 243. Grizzly Bear, well ya shouldn't be shooting at them at 600 yards anyway. More bear have been shot with old 30-30s up close than any other caliber; Indians believe 30-30s are spiritual and have their Grandad's karma to kill; course I've seen Indians talk to bear up close too. It always made me feel nervous not to start shooting, but they'd say they only eat White People, ha ha no joke.
  9. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Something else, the kids and I have shot some moose over the last twenty some years, mostly with an old 7 mag 700 rem, 160 grain nosler partitions. None have ever walked off, and we always find the bullet inside the hide on back side. It travels clear through moose, but never penetrates outside hide; perfect choice of gun for the job.

I've seen grizzly bear run off to die when shot long range and hit; no matter what gun you use, except maybe a 50 cal. Got to sneak in on them to within 200 yards to make a real killing shot.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    But he is putting 600ft/lbs more energy on the target than you are. I doubt if a moose would appreciate the difference at 100 yards but it might at 500 yards.

My MkV Weatherby with 180 gr Rem Core Lokt at 100 yards shooting 3 rounds as fast as I can. Those are 1" squares, its a little tighter when I shoot from the bench one shot at a time.

[​IMG]

If you are going to shoot 300 Win Mag you might as well shoot 30-06 unless that wee bit of difference makes you feel better. Very few things I see that needs shooting that a .308 won't handle just fine and the ammo is a lot cheaper. My .308 uses the same exact bullet as my Weatherby but it don't cost me as much. :D
  11. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Wow Soundguy, I can't believe you see that much Weatherby ammo at shows. I don't see much at all. I always seem to see the Win Mag though. I guess we are in some different areas of the country. I too should have been smart like hardluk and asked the question also, why not the .308 or another cartridge. Is there a specific reason why you chose those 3? Could a .270, .308 or 7m-08 work or not?
  12. soundguy

one of the places I hunt has weird cartridge restrictions. no 30-30, 308 or 243, 223, or 270, 25-0?, etc. no 762x39, 45 or 54 ( really? )

7mm mag is ok, 30-06 is ok, 300 savage ( strangely enough )/win mag/weatherbymag is ok.

They have a full listing.. just postin a partial.

seems to be almost everything under 30cal is a no go.. expect they allow 7mm mag. and do allow some 8mm.. though non of the old amm stuff. no 8m mauser etc

on the ammo.. yeah.. seems we are flush with weatherby ammo here.

there is apawn shop in town with more weatherby ammo than I cpould afford to buy setting on his shelf. yet not a box of savage or winmag ???
  13. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I own a 30-06 and it's most definitely NOT a .300 win mag. I would liken it more to a 7mm rem mag (of which I own two) and the .300 simply is in another ballpark from those two cartridges. It's accurate and hits REALLY hard at long range. I've shot big elk that just folded right up shot with the 168 TTSX at 300 yards using the win mag. We kill a lot of hogs here and I've only had one even take a step after plugging 'em with that load.

But the .300 Weatherby is another step up from that. If I didn't have so much invested in the win mag I would consider the Weatherby mag. but would not recommend it to someone who shoots only factory ammo.
  14. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

A .270 isn't enough for them? Weird, that is a nice round and I would shoot anything in North America with one besides a monster Kodiak. As long as you chose the right bullet it would take anything down IMO, besides that monster Kodiak. And, it may do that too. I just wouldn't want to try it. :)
  15. soundguy

due to price of the ammo? or?
  16. soundguy

i also wondered about the 270 as well. heck.. it's practically a 30-06 case necked to the lower caliber.

their hunt land.. their rules though. I personally was gonna take a 30-30 with me. there was plenty of brush and I bet i might have had 100yds in one area open site.. everything else was 50-75yds. I took a hog at ? 80-90 yds maybee. 30-06. he fell over and kicked a few times but otherwise wasn't up to going anywhere.

I think that's their issue.. they don't want any game shot and running off. I was a guest there and it was a higher end club. You get to take in 5 rounds with you.. and you have a bag limit of 1 unless otherwise arranged. variety of game there.. but you get 1 of whatever it is you take. they are real weird about 'missed shots' i heard one guy said that if you fire they contact you by radio and ask for location to come help you load the animal.. and if there is no animal to load.. your hnt is over till you find what you hit.

again.. not my club.. and I doubt I will go back.. The actual mambers may have less stringent rules than the guests.. i dunno.

I do know I had the smallest gun at camp that morning. mine was a lowly rem 700 30-06

I shoot it because it's a real tack driver for me.. and doesn't beat my shoulder up like some other stuff. at least not on 1 shot anyway...

there were some 3-4000$ guns walking around that camp.. I felt like the poor boy there!

soundguy
  17. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Is true it is not a 300 win but using the same bullet, a 180 gr Remington Corelokt in my .308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 300 Wby I get a small jump between .308 and 30-06 a bigger jump at 300 Win and the same big jump between 300 Win to 300 Wby, the Wby is two steps ahead of the 30-06. Under 500 yards I just don't see a lot of advantage to taking that extra thump when a 08 or 06 will kill them just as dead. Loves my Weatherby but all my guns gather dust while I am shooting the daylights out of everything with my .308 or the 32 Win spcl. Just personal; preference and a lot of trigger time. Besides I am getting old and I won't be repeating that rapid fire exercise with the Weatherby. Kind of rattled my cage and made my shoulder talk to me in the wee hours of the morning. Kept calling me a dummy and to take a pill.
  18. soundguy

same reason I switched to my a-5 in 20 from 12 when shooting clays... after 3 25 sets.. my shoulder froze up last time.. :)

same deal at the rifle range. after a couple hours of large 30cal pounding.. I was fine with something lighter.. :)
  19. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Dat's why I have a 'brake on mine........
  20. m77user

m77user Active Member

the 300RUM is in between the 300 wthby and the 30-378 wthby. I bought one of the first ones in Helena,Mt. Had to buy a box of factory ammo just to get brass to reload. Nosler 180 gr. partitions. I shot a moose at 86 yds went through both shoulders and she did not move. I'm 68 and still shoot as big and fast as I can handle. Sold the 300 RUM to my hunting partner and now am using a 7x57 mauser for deer. Getting to old to chase down the elk. Off the bench the 300 RUM will definitely get your attention but shooting at game you don't really notice it that much. My hunting partner is only 67 so he can handle it. I use a 338 win mag for elk if I get a chance. Good luck with whatever you use for whatever you may be hunting. I asked my dad when I was about 14 why he didn't buy a 30-06 because a friends dad had one and said the 30-30 was not big enough for elk. He just looked at me and asked how much deader do you want em.