compair 300 win mag to 300 weatherby mag

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by soundguy, Oct 13, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i also wondered about the 270 as well. heck.. it's practically a 30-06 case necked to the lower caliber.

their hunt land.. their rules though. I personally was gonna take a 30-30 with me. there was plenty of brush and I bet i might have had 100yds in one area open site.. everything else was 50-75yds. I took a hog at ? 80-90 yds maybee. 30-06. he fell over and kicked a few times but otherwise wasn't up to going anywhere.

I think that's their issue.. they don't want any game shot and running off. I was a guest there and it was a higher end club. You get to take in 5 rounds with you.. and you have a bag limit of 1 unless otherwise arranged. variety of game there.. but you get 1 of whatever it is you take. they are real weird about 'missed shots' i heard one guy said that if you fire they contact you by radio and ask for location to come help you load the animal.. and if there is no animal to load.. your hnt is over till you find what you hit.

again.. not my club.. and I doubt I will go back.. The actual mambers may have less stringent rules than the guests.. i dunno.

I do know I had the smallest gun at camp that morning. mine was a lowly rem 700 30-06

I shoot it because it's a real tack driver for me.. and doesn't beat my shoulder up like some other stuff. at least not on 1 shot anyway...

there were some 3-4000$ guns walking around that camp.. I felt like the poor boy there!

soundguy
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Is true it is not a 300 win but using the same bullet, a 180 gr Remington Corelokt in my .308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 300 Wby I get a small jump between .308 and 30-06 a bigger jump at 300 Win and the same big jump between 300 Win to 300 Wby, the Wby is two steps ahead of the 30-06. Under 500 yards I just don't see a lot of advantage to taking that extra thump when a 08 or 06 will kill them just as dead. Loves my Weatherby but all my guns gather dust while I am shooting the daylights out of everything with my .308 or the 32 Win spcl. Just personal; preference and a lot of trigger time. Besides I am getting old and I won't be repeating that rapid fire exercise with the Weatherby. Kind of rattled my cage and made my shoulder talk to me in the wee hours of the morning. Kept calling me a dummy and to take a pill.
  3. soundguy

same reason I switched to my a-5 in 20 from 12 when shooting clays... after 3 25 sets.. my shoulder froze up last time.. :)

same deal at the rifle range. after a couple hours of large 30cal pounding.. I was fine with something lighter.. :)
  4. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Dat's why I have a 'brake on mine........
  5. m77user

m77user Active Member

the 300RUM is in between the 300 wthby and the 30-378 wthby. I bought one of the first ones in Helena,Mt. Had to buy a box of factory ammo just to get brass to reload. Nosler 180 gr. partitions. I shot a moose at 86 yds went through both shoulders and she did not move. I'm 68 and still shoot as big and fast as I can handle. Sold the 300 RUM to my hunting partner and now am using a 7x57 mauser for deer. Getting to old to chase down the elk. Off the bench the 300 RUM will definitely get your attention but shooting at game you don't really notice it that much. My hunting partner is only 67 so he can handle it. I use a 338 win mag for elk if I get a chance. Good luck with whatever you use for whatever you may be hunting. I asked my dad when I was about 14 why he didn't buy a 30-06 because a friends dad had one and said the 30-30 was not big enough for elk. He just looked at me and asked how much deader do you want em.
  6. soundguy

i'm guessing 375 H&Hmag is overkill then ;)
  7. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

You should really play their game and see if you can find someone with a .500 Nitro Express double rifle or something that you can borrow.
  8. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

We had a guy here that used a 375 on hogs because, in his own words: "I'm too old and fat to chase 'em".
  9. soundguy

i imagine even a poorly placed shot with a 375H&H will be a kill shot.. soo much cavitation...
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Kind of like when my brother shot a squirrel with his 30-30. The shot skinned it, eviscerated it, discarded the front half of the squirrel but left the hindquarters intact. We are guessing that it did not suffer.
  11. soundguy

not long anyway!
  12. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

And if you did the same thing with a .375 H&H it would dig a hole and bury it at the same time too!
  13. soundguy

look like a lil mini impact crater from a meteorite!