Compare Power Pistol to Unique powder?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RAJBCPA, Oct 9, 2012.

1. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

I've been using PP with good resuts but all my local gun stores are out. After a few tries around the block here, I bought some Unique instead.

How do these powders compare? It looks like Unique is a tad faster burning based on the published loads that I have read. The LGS said that Unique does not burn as clean as PP but they recently changed the formula and it is cleaner burning now.

loading 40sw, 9mm, 380acp
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. X Ring

X Ring Member

One thing I really like about Unique is that it is extremely versatile. There is not one handgun caliber or bullet weight it does not work well with, or shotgun gauge for that mater. I always keep some Unique in my stock just in case I run out of something else. It does burn cleaner than it used too but it is still dirtier than Power pistol. PP gives much more mussel flash and performs better at or near max loads than Unique. PP was designed for the calibers you listed and would be my preferred choice in them. However I wouldn’t be opposed to using Unique in a pinch.
  3. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

My choice for those [and others] is W231
    I used Unique for years, and especially for .357magnum.
    The only drawback for me is Unique doesn't seem to meter
    well in my Dillon, where it really didn't matter when I weighed
    each charge on a beam scale.

Burn rate between Unique and Power Pistol are very close:
    [#20 & #24]
    http://www.handloads.com/misc/burnrate.htm
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  4. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

I've used both. Their burn rate is similar. The two big differences I see are that PP meters a little better and seems to shoot a bit cleaner at lower charge volumes, but it has much more flash when you pull the trigger. I don't own a 380, but for the 9 and 40 they are equally good choices IMO.
  5. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

Yeh, Power Pistol meters great in my Hornady powder measure. With a baffle installed, it never varies more than about .1 grain.