The Firearms Forum banner

Competitive Shooting

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Blackhawk Dave 
#1 ·
It seems like around here places to legally go plink or target practice outdoors are becoming scarce. I've been thinking about joining a rifle and pistol club and getting involved in some competitive shooting. Was reading about one clubs tournaments and the various positions they shoot from. Just about all of them included firing from the prone postion. That's a problem for me. Several years ago I had neck surgery and had a couple vertabrae removed from my neck and a fusion done. For most things I don't notice it much but I have limited motion when say looking up at the stars etc. I have to tilt my whole body backwards a bit. In the prone position I can not look up to look through rifle sights or scope with elbows on the ground. Just wondered if anyone that has shot comptetively knows if they would allow you to use some sort of cushion to raise the upper body a bit when shooting prone?

#2 ·
It would depend on the match director, and the ROs. (SO)
During a regular match "some" directors will make special dispensation for shooters. You may be accessed a penalty point(s), or similar, but be allowed to shoot. At least that is what they did to me, when my back was acting up a few years ago, and I could not go prone.

You probably would not be allowed to participate in a "regional" or a "national" championship event, unless you were able to follow the complete course description.

#3 ·
Thanks pickenup. That's what I was afraid of. I really wouldn't mind not being allowed to compete as long as i got to shoot. Around here most of the public indoor ranges are limited to 25 yds and I haven't been able to find a single place out in the country to shoot like there used to be.

#4 · (Edited)
As a general rule for shooters with some sort of disability that prevents them from getting into a shooting position, they may use another position they are able to shoot from providing it is no more stable than the one everyone else is using. For example, if the course of fire calls for the prone position, someone that cannot use the prone may shoot from either the kneeling or sitting positions.

I also know of one gentleman that is confined to a wheel chair and has a shooting bench adapted to attach it right in front of him and he is out there shooting with everyone else on the 1,000 yard line. He needs a bit of assistance, but he is doing it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.