Component ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Apr 26, 2009.

?

How long are you waiting for primers?

Poll closed May 6, 2009.
  1. less than 1 month

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. 2 months

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. 3 months

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. guess i will never see them

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

How long is it taking you to find primers? Only primers for the poll, chime in for other stuff.
  2. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Are you guys and gals going ahead and putting them on backorder from the web ? I guess I'm just waiting for them to show up, but maybe thats a mistake.
    I thought I was never going to see Varget in 8# bottles again, but I ordered 10 # from somewhere and the very next day I saw two 8# containers at the gun shop I frequent, so now I think I have a total of around 15-16 pounds stocked up, but only about 1500 primers.
    I know ammo is very hard to get in some calibers, so maybe all the primers are being used in ammo manufacturing right now. I'm sure they'll get caught up pretty soon.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Where does one find primers that are shipping within a month????
  4. cycloneman

This depends on what kind of primers your looking for. Pistol primers seem to come in quicker. Rifle primers especially sm ones take a while. I am glad i ordered when i did. I only waited 3 months.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I didn't vote because I have primers of every size (LR, LP, SR, SP) already. I wanted some more SP, last week, so I stopped by my local gun shop and bought 1000, no waiting there either. BUT - he is out of SR so if I run out, I will then have a wait.
  6. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I didn't vote because I bought enough early 2008 to last till the end of this year.
    Rusty
  7. RandyP

RandyP Member

No orders in place right now, fortunately(?) I am not a high volume shooter and the 2000 small and large pistol primers I have on hand should last at least thru the summer anyway. Maybe by then the usual resources will be restocked?
  8. cycloneman

until now down here it's only been small rifle primers that have been the big problem. a local shop/range has been good about keeping pistol primers in stock. went a couple of days ago and no more. he is wiped out. not one of anything. hmmmm.
  9. gdmoody

Well, I discovered this afternoon that even though I have not had any problems with having primers, I now have a problem with getting some of the powder that I use.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I belatedly decided to stock up on reloading components in the Jan 2009 time frame. I found common caliber bullets, common powders, and all primers impossible to get. I back ordered some of them. The powder is about to ship to me this week. I got large pistol and large rifle primers in this shipment but no small pistol or small rifle primers yet. The supplier is saying maybe by July (?). I ordered the rest of the common bullets last week and all are on back order. I had picked up all the uncommon bullets in the last couple of months in dribbles. I delayed on the common bullets order hoping the rush on them would disappear but that is not happening.

Once I get all these supplies in I'll be setup for several years of reloading before requiring more.

So to answer the poll (no spot for this) I waited 4 months for large rifle and large pistol and will have waited 6 months for small rifle and small pistol (if I get them when promised??). The primers are all Winchester.

While hoarding will most certainly be accused by some, I think that the OBAMA administration and the Dems will limit reloading component in the near future and I don't want to be caught with my pants down. At my age I may end up with a life time supply of everything I need to go shooting for as long as I am able.

Hope you guys who said you wouldn't vote for McCain are happy now. Exactly what most of use predicted is happening.... large social programs and restrictions of rights. Did you win by not voting for McCain?

LDBennett
  11. gdmoody

Amen, Brother LD. If they did not want to vote for McCain, then they should have voted for his running mate!!
  12. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

13. cycloneman

Got word from a friend of mind this morning. He said Cablas shipped his small rifle primers on the 1st. He waited 5 months. Federal primers. This is the first I have heard of any Federal primers hitting the market in a long time.
  14. islenos

islenos New Member

I just picked up a brick of primers the other day:confused:
    maybe I should go back, buy everything and hold an auction here:D
  15. merrill

merrill New Member

Small pistol primers are essentially non existent in Nashville, TN.;however, small pistol magnum primers are available at Grandpa's in Clarksville, TN. The problem I have is finding 9mm. bullets.