Computer Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 76Highboy, Jun 24, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The reason that my old computer went down is because I got a virus. The computer was not worth fixing so I got a new one today which I am on now.

I like to chat on a Christian chat room and am trying to chat but I need Java. When I start to down load Java it warns me that it could harm my computer even though I am running my Norton anti virus. Am I safe to do download Java? Also, is there a possability that I picked the virus up from a chat room?

Thanks,
    Jim
  2. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

Java is fine. Yes Chat rooms are bad for virus's. But you can get them from anything. if you dont keep your anti virus software up to date or keep your computer updated.
  3. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Java won't hurt the puter. There are a lot of web pages that need Java so go ahead and load it. Next thing to do is dump the Norton krap. It will eventually cause more problems than it will cure. Download a anti virus program called Avast from here http://www.avast.com/en-us/index and you will be set.
  4. 76Highboy

Hey, thanks Don. I am on it.

Jim
  5. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Java will not hurt your computer, however Java has been know to be full of exploits that hackers use to load viruses on your computer, more than most programs.

I just had a virus on my computer, and it was caused by running an older version of Java. I learned a lesson in that you must keep your operating system updated as well as programs like Java and Adobe ect.
  6. 76Highboy

Thanks Rocketman. Keep it coming.
  7. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I would dump Norton as well. I used that years ago, and they messed my system up when I got an automatic update from them that was not compatable with my system,
  8. 76Highboy

Ok. however I have a one year subscription on all 3 of the computers here (my sons, my wife's, and mine) for McAfee. I did not have it running on the computer that was infected but should I oust the Norton and go ahead and put the McAfee on and use it since I paid for it. Or should I just go ahead and use Avast? The McAfee is doing an excellent job on the other two computers. What do you think?
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The Corp. I work for gives all IT staff McAfee free so I use it. I have had 2 viruses on this pc this year. I haven't see them in the field like I used to. Keep Microsoft auto updates on. Update the virus scan software and java.
  10. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

We had McAfee and never had a problem once we got rid of our XP system. It was free from out internet provider. Our XP was up on all its updates but still messed up and they stopped updatin em in 09 or 10. Dons recommendation of Avast is spot on great protection. Most viruses are made to bypass Norton and startin to get that way with McAfee just because they are so popular.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  11. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I'd just dump Windows completely. :bleh:

But I agree that getting rid of Norton, McAfee, and the other "internet security suites" is a good idea, simply because I've seen them break a customer's connection to the internet for some obscure reason. We recommend our customers run AVG (free version) and Windows firewall.
  12. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

first off get ride of norton, it is no better then the viruses that it's saposed to keep out.
    MY opinion.
    I use bitdefender. about $40 bucks rated #1 and only whene i think i got somthing. other wise it's not runing. and super anti spywhere (free) all the time. it catches most everything.
    Norton didn't even make the top ten.
    Thats just me. and i haven't had a virus in about 3 years.
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I gotta respectfully disagree.
    I have used Norton for years, and I surf hours a day.
    Never had a virus.

I have automatic updates turned on, so it is always up-to-date.

I got Norton Intenet Security when it was first released, and have never had a problem with it. When I got a notebook computer, it cost me nothing extra as Norton lets you protect more than one computer when you buy a package.
    I consider the NO HASSLE to be worth the cost -
  14. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

never said it did'nt work just said my opinion was it wasent any better then the vireses it was to catch. and consumer reports ranks it at #11 it will slow your computer down just like spywher will.
  15. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Time2shoot, that could well be!
    Out in the toolies where I live, though, my only "broadband" is satellite, and that is slow enough that I do not notice Norton causing a delay.
    If I had a truly FAST connection, I might be blasting Norton with the rest of you guys - -