computer virus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Jan 31, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

got on last night and this security shield kept coming up saying i had virus and trogans and all that could not get it off the screen kept popping up saying join for a year and we will remove.Brought it to computer place and he said everyone is bringing theres in with the same issue he said it is a fake they try to wipe out your credit card (which i cancelled) so watch out
  2. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

thanks for the heads up!
  3. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

Thanks for the warning!
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i'm going to check with computer guy to see what else i can put on computer to protect it if i find out anything i will let u know, i have mcafee and malaware now and that did not stop em
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

been going around for a while now I got it from an off-site link someone posted here to a funny picture site but some people at work got it from facebook
  6. H-D

H-D Active Member

I have AVG and Spybot and Malwarebytes (all free) they are good
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

avast anti virus stops it dead ..
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

will they be compatible with my computer?
  9. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Beth there is a program that is called super anti spyware... (one word) Download it for free and it runs in the background. It has removed anything that has gotten past my anti virus. All you need to do is update it every so often by clicking on update when you start your computer you will get a notice when it needs updated.
  10. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Make sure you have a good working firewall. (edit add - some bad guys disable your FW then rehit your computer, simple but deadly. I use Norton 360, does everything, AV, FW, etc.)

Plus I'd update your regular antivirus and do a complete scan ASAP.

Also watch where you go and what you click on out there.;)
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i am hoping they can fix it without erasing everything i had on there?
  12. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Do you back up your files? I use Carbonite, backs up automatically off-site (cloud) you set it up and do nothing....costs about $4.95/mo. but can be priceless!

On your files I don't know, depends on what happened.
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'm not gonna dissagree with anyone else here. This is just my opinion.

Beth, the best thing you can do is not click on anything that pops up wanting ANY info about you. Just hit the power button and shut off yer computer. Don't close any windows, just turn it off.

2nd.

Any and ALL spy/mal/popup/protect programs have an agenda. They like THEMSELVES. NONE of them get along with any other programs. It's not self serving after all, and they ALL want yer attention. NOT the other guy on the block.

They create conflicts with other programs, and that's bad for you. I've run many of them over the years, and they don't get along. None of them. Every one of them is self serving.

I know many here have other opinions. This is mine.
  14. gad1111

gad1111 Member

I run avast now. Had AVG, up to date, it let through multiple viruses that completely crashed my system. After that I tell people to run away from AVG.

Greg
  15. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Do you ever clean your Registry, important!!

I use Registry Mechanic ($29/yr) but you can get a free registry cleaner, mine creates back up start up data and other stuff.

Also what's your computer make, how old, what O/S, etc. to be more specific.
  16. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

What's a girl to do decisions decisions? I do not have a back up never ran one? what exactly is registry
  17. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

I clean this thing at work all the time it has been around for years, this year it has gotten very hard to remove! It evolves about every 6 months. MSN has it most the time, it usually comes from the ads on the right or left of msn, facebook, myspace, etc. It just this year (oops, new year, it was last year) started quite a stir in the apple community as it infected apples. Apple was beside itself as they told the apple techies NOT to admit it as an infection!

It sucks that it can not be rooted and gotten with antivirus.
  18. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

It's just malware not a virus. I deal with them all the time. I myself prefer kaspersky av. Anything Symantec uses too much CPU and memory for my liking. I am forced to use Symantec at work and when someone calles me this problem I just load up a new os image and 20 min later they are good to go.

While avast and avg are good free av programs they are not as good as the new windows security essentials. None of them are as good as a quality av like kaspersky or Symantec Internet security.
  19. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

That's all very true, the new NAV are better than the older ones, I got real lazy when I worked on a friend's messed up computer (kids!) and got it going and liked the NAV 360 one click and your done thing. It got pretty good reviews in the latest studies I've seen.

I used to piecemeal all the free stuff together -but- in today's world the free ones just don't measure up like they might have years back. Get a good AV!
  20. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Start here, go to a site like PCWorld.com and look around, they can show you a lot like what's out there, how much stuff costs or even the freebies to download.

Cleaning your regisrty now might not be your #1 priority but I'd look into downloading a cleaner, make sure it does a backup first before running!

What is it, here's the computereze on it:

The Windows Registry is an enormous batch of files containing information about almost everything that occurs on the computer, from a visit to a Web site to a program installation. The registry also contains information about drivers and other essential programs, like DLLs -- small helper programs that often work with more than one application. This information is stored in the form of "keys" that help programs run. It's like a big blueprint for where everything goes on your computer and how it all fits together. Only computers running Windows operating systems have registries, and despite rumors to the contrary, Windows 7 will have a registry.

A registry may have hundreds of thousands of entries, and new entries are created all the time. As it fills with information, the registry may cause a computer's performance to suffer. One problem is that Windows almost never removes registry entries, even if a program is uninstalled, as most uninstallers aren't able to effectively remove their own registry keys. And as files are moved around and programs are uninstalled, some registry keys point to programs or files that no longer exist or are located elsewhere.