Conceal Carry for Fat Guys

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by SandW640, Jul 31, 2005.

1. SandW640

SandW640 New Member

Hey. I'm just wondering what you other fat guys do about concealing a revolver. I've tried a couple different ways and found the ankle to be the easiest, although the hardest to access should I really need it. Any other suggestions? I'm a pretty big guy. Thanks.
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I conceal a compact and a full size automatic in the small of my back. Hardly notice it there!
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

What kind of clothes do you wear?
    Suit and tie?
    Jeans and flannel shirt?
    What?

It can make a BIG difference.
  4. Voyager Al

Voyager Al New Member

I carry a KelTec 380 in a Desantis pocket holster. Yup, the IWB holsters dont work for us with big guts.... I wear T-shirts always, unless its winter. So its important for itto be concealed well.R/rear pocket, and it comes outa the holster quickly....
  5. SandW640

SandW640 New Member

pickenup,

I usually wear a t-shirt and jeans or shorts.

Also, as my name says, I have a Smith and Wesson 640.

Thanks again.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

A 640 is small enough, it shouldn’t be too hard to conceal. One thing that I have found, is that there are a LOT of people that worry too much about “printing” when carrying. Some states are more strict about printing than others. Don’t know how strict Texas is.

The point here is that while YOU know you are carrying, the slightest “bulge” can drive you up a wall. But to be realistic, when you are out in public, almost NO ONE else will notice a slight bulge.

Keep in mind that I am not a “clean cut” dude. I have a kind of grizzly biker guy appearance, so I can draw attention just walking into, well, about any place. I was recently out looking for a new financial institution. I went into quite a few banks carrying as described below, asking the security guard (when there was one) who to talk to about opening up a new account. Talking with numerous bank personnel, and walking all over these banks, no one noticed. One would think that the security guards, and bank personnel, would be looking for, and trained to spot, people with guns. As long as you do not draw undue attention to yourself, you’re the only one that is going to know that you are carrying.

It took me a few tries to find the right holster. When walking, I wear it outside, on the right hip, on the belt, slightly forward of the side. I needed a holster that kept the firearm “in close” to my body, and carries it a bit low (so the grips do not stick up too far and show through the shirt) and so my shirt would hang over, and cover it. Do not put your belt through the one “side” loop on your pants. That way you can “adjust” the holster slightly back and forth from your side to a little forward, to get the most comfortable, and then the most concealable, carry position. Like when you are getting in and out of your car. (In the car, it’s on the side. When getting out of the car, push it slightly forward)

Then I bought t-shirts a size or two too big. My “roll” (so to speak, LOL) sticks out farther than my belt or holster, and the t-shirt hangs loosely over it, and covers it well, since it is extra long and not tight. It probably helps that I don’t care if the t-shirt looks like a tent on me, or that it hangs down off my shoulders farther than a tight fitting one would. It covers what I am carrying, and that is the important part. They have to be fairly good t-shirts, can’t be the “see through” kind. When the weather is cool enough, a light sleeveless shirt, not buttoned up, covers everything up. Colder weather, heavier shirts, never a problem.

If all else fails, a fanny pack works for some. ;)
  7. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

Sigtac by Sig Arms. They make a concealed carry jacket with built in holsters on left and right. You can look at it on there web site. Buy it from E-bay and save about $30.00.
  8. I'm partial to leather belt and paddle holsters mostly, but I will occasionally use an IWB if I'm wearing light clothing or expect to take off my jacket leaving only my shirt to cover the weapon. Most commonly carried weapon for me is a S&W 637 Airweight snubbie, second most, a Glock 33. As for holsters, my favorite is Kramer's MSP (Michigan State Patrol) paddle holster. I have one for each of the above mentioned weapons. Since you are a big guy, SandW, you could probably carry that 640 in a front pocket holster quite easily. Still not the quickest access, but considerably better than an ankle holster. Don Hume Leatherworks makes a very nice but reasonably inexpensive pocket holster for the J-frames. I have one for my 637 and like it quite well indeed. http://www.donhume.com/
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Since I'm on oxygen 24/7/365, I carry a full size SA 1911 or a Browning Hi-Power Practical in my small portable oxygen tank case. No one would ever guess that it is there and I always have it with me, along with two extra full magazines.
  10. omnivore75

omnivore75 Former Guest

I unfortunately have more than considerable girth so I can't use the IWB either. :( I prefer to carry a full size with a small backup if I am going out. I can carry a full size strong side with mags on the other side and my knife clipped to my pocket and conceal it no prob because of my size but if wearing just a shirt and jeans it seems to really make my gut stand out which is never cool hehe. ;) Plus with belt carry you cant use the m3/m6 belt clip if you have a big gut because it just wont fit right. I find a good high quality leather shoulder holster (Galco's great and kramer too.) is probably the best option if concealment is not a big issue (which if it's coat/jacket weather it's no issue at all.) If concealment is a must a mouse gun in an ankle holster is great and if a little more firepower is needed or it's shorts weather a good pair of levi's carpenters style shorts have plenty of easy access pockets to carry a good mid size auto or even a full size in some cases and a couple mags in the other pocket. It's nice to know that there are other big guys out there who have the same problem and have to put the same kind of thought into what they choose as I do.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  11. tom vito

tom vito New Member

I'm a big guy, have been for about 35 years (I'm 35 btw :D ), I carry a kel-tec .380 everywhere I go. I does tend to "print" in some clothing, but as others have pointed out, no one really seems to notice. The only ones that have ever said anything to me about thr "print" is others that carry. A good freind that knows I carry, pointed it out once, and my dad pointed it out a few times. Before the Kel-Tec, I carried a full size 9mm in the small of my back for years. But what I noticed was, as my wieght changes so does the carry. By which I mean, if I lost 10 pounds I would feel my holster moving in my back. A little heavier, and you get the digging feeling.

All in all, I have never found anything easier to carry than the kel-tec in my front pocket. I have even tossed around the idea of a second one for my weak side carry.

I know not much of this helps with your choice of carry weapon, but this is what i have went through thus far.....
  12. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

There are several way to carry a 640. ( I have a 940 ) The one I like is a pocket holster, either Uncle Mike or Desantis, carry in my strong side front pocket. My money clip goes behind the gun. The other way is in your waist band behind your hip. Even if your shirt tail is in, just tuff your shirt out to cover the grip. If you are useing wood grips you may want to put a couple rubber bands around the grip to keep it from sliding down. After putting on a set of Houge grips I didn't have that problem.

Guns are like Jello, there is always room for more!