1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

conceal carry questions

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by thunderstruck507, Oct 24, 2007.

1. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

soon I hope to be getting my permit

Is there any hope of concealing a 1911 comfortably in light clothing? (jeans and t shirts)

Its not going to help that I'm 5' 7" and 140 lbs I know, but what are your suggestions for a holster type?

In winter it would be easy to put it in my inside jacket pocket.
  2. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I carry my GI .45 in a M-TAC IWB holster by comp-tac. It conceals pretty well, but then again i'm 6'4'' and around 250lbs. But i normally wear jeans and a t-shirt or jeans and a polo and i can conceal pretty effectively. I very regularly carry two very large guns, my GI .45 and my Glock 17(not at the same time... but yeah, you get my drift). It can be done, you'll just have to find the solution that fits you best. Another plus of the M-tac holster is you can order different kydex holster bodies to fit most other common guns, so the same holster will work on a multitude of weapons.

just my .02
  3. hogrider97fxdwg

hogrider97fxdwg New Member

I use a safepacker holster or bianchi with a sleeveless over shirt one size larger than I normally wear
  4. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

I use the iwb galco summer carry. It conceals my full size well as long as you don't tuck the shirt in. I am 5 10 200lbs.

In the summer I wear shorts alot. I put a belt around my shorts, and stuff the IWB inside the shorts with the belt to suck it in tight.

I went to a great gun shop and the owner said "you cant conceal a full size 1911 unless it's winter" to a customer. I said "I do it all the time dressed like I am now".

He said "I'd like to see that" I lifted my shirt and said "here it is".

1911's are flat and conceal easy for their size. Is a .22 better, yeah. It conceals better and it does a much better job of pissing opponents off after you shoot them. :)
  5. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

might have to give one of those a shot

being a short stringbean has its downsides lol
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Actually, that is an aid. If you put a little girth on your waist, you begin to look more normal in that regard. I've found that I can conceal a Dan Wesson .357 with 6" barrel. I'm 5'11" and 155. When I was 5'11" and 130, it worked even better.

Pops
  7. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

Those are good ideas.

Does anyone out there use or have an opinion about using a "fanny-pack" for larger frame pistols like the 1911?

Thanks,

Chuck B
  8. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

Fanny pack screams
    "I'm Gay",
    "I'm a Tourist",
    or "I'm Carrying Large Framed Handgun".....

-or-

"I'm a gay tourist wih a large framed handgun"
  9. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

I don't like fanny packs for the above mentioned reasons, and in my opinion a gun should always be on one's person.

Fanny packs are for loaded magazines:)
  10. Fanny packs as a repository for a handgun fool no one, and unless they are specifically designed to accommodate a handgun, they're too slow to get at the weapon if you need it. IMHO, you are better off with a holster, either on the belt or IWB.
  11. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

I can say this, I have been in 2 situations in my life where I had to draw my weapon. Both times it was iwb with an un tucked shirt. Both times, I just got it out in time.

This goes with Mr. Shutze theory. I can guarantee that on 1 of the occasions, I would have been stabbed while trying to unzip a fanny pack.

Same for women and purses.

Also keep in mind that a robber might think that pack or purse has your money in it. When they run up behind you, what they get is not your wallet, they obtain your gun. Now they have a gun and you don't. What's worse is you gave it to them. Give them your wallet, but never never give up your gun.

To me, carrying a gun is serious business (as it is to all of us). It is un comfortable, un pleasant, and sometimes is a down right pain in the ass, but you do it right or don't do it at all.

Now also I don't want to start a "my gun is better than yours" because of this or that calibur, but I think when we speak of reliability we say it has to work. Working to me is 2 things. 1. If you pull the trigger it MUST fire.
    2. if you fire your weapon, it must do what you need it to do. Not all guns that "go off" do their job.

My wife wanted a .22 for protection. I persuaded her up to 9mm. Now I am not knocking a .22. I just think that when you pull a weapon out you by nature escalate the situation.

If the oponent says ouch, you may have a problem. (that was a joke).

Food for thought.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  12. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

Thanks for the responses.

I live in a small, sleepy university town of about 15k. It's not uncommon to see folks with satchels, backpacks, fanny-packs, and lap-top computer shoulder bags. The issues of "gay" and "tourist" are largely irrelevant. The concerns about "screaming large frame pistol" is a valid one for a certain percentage of the population...but probably not an issue if I'm riding my mountain bike or carrying a walking stick.

The topic, I think, was summer carry. This is a very hot & humid area that time of year. The points made about having specially designed equipment and ease of producing the firearm are very good. Thanks.

Chuck B
  13. cec

cec New Member

I go for the fanny pack option myself. I am not gay or a tourist. I will not argue the "large frame gun" point.

The fanny Pack is best for me because I am a large frame mammal. I have tried the side holsters, which stick out rather well even under a loose winter coat and there isn't enough room between the waist band and my body for a firearm.

However, this doesn't mean I cannot get to the firearm. The fanny pack I have (uncle mike's) is designed for quick access. Since I prefer cross draw, it works out even better. Pull open with one hand, grab gun with other.

With the way it is worn, it would be very hard to rip off my body, without having a very po'ed Large Mammal (tm) fighting back.

While I have not had to pull the firearm, there were two times I opened the holster and had my hand on it. Something about a large guy yelling with his hand at his side turned the person off.

I guess what I am saying is that the fanny pack can work, like most holsters, it comes down to what works best in your situation.
  14. Chuck, before I forget, welcome to TFF! :D

I live in a rural area of Colorado where it is not uncommon to see menfolk wearing a vest. For me, that is the best solution in the summertime. I wear a light vest which is plenty to cover a high-ride belt holster. In the winter is it usually pretty cold, so my coat covers the "insurance policy" I carry on my belt. :D;)
  15. Northalius

Northalius New Member

Agreed.

If you can, always aim for a higher caliber of weapon, because concealment isn't the only thing you need to worry about; stopping power is, as well, extremely important in taking another down in self defense.