Concealed Carry 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by patrol, Jan 7, 2008.

1. patrol

patrol New Member

Im considering going back to tradition and get away from carrying my offduty "striker fired" XD's and Glocks because lately Ive been really into my inside the pant Desantis prostealth holsters so much I got three of them but no longer feel I like the idea of having a no manual safety gun resting muzzle point of contact on my body. What do you guys think is a good CCW 1911. I like the Kimber Ultra carry due to it's shorter barrel and lightweight frame. Give me some idea's guys. thanks
  2. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

I just got a Kimber Ultra CDP2. As far as carrying it, it's absolutely fantastic.

I loved it right from the start. I had been carrying a full size s+w 1911 for 6 years, and this gun is such a pleasure after a few hours.

I highly recommend it.
  3. Rott45

Rott45 New Member

For concealed carry, I have a Rock Island CS model which is 3.5 inches. And I also have a Kimber Pro Carry 11. Both are reliable and accurate. 2-3" at 35'.
  4. justdoug

justdoug New Member

All good choices, but PARA HAWG...nuff said. We (my wife and I) have 3 Paras.
    1) SSP
    2) HAWG .45
    3) HAWG 9mm

Never a failure, never a jam, never a nothing. I didn't bother to count the number of 50-100 round boxes of Remington, Winchester, or Federal that have been through these pistols in the last 4 years. The HAWG's, IMHO, are the ultimate in CCW.

Good enough for the elite among our branches of US miltary....
  5. patrol

patrol New Member

I think I have narrowed it down the that Para Slim Hog compact. It is 25oz with a alloy frame and a 3inch barrel and the Kimber Ultra compact.
  6. durk

durk New Member

I have the Kimber Ultra Raptor II and love it!
  7. remchuck

remchuck New Member

mine is a colt 1991 compact.i sometimes carry my rare colt tank officers.both are accurate and reliable.
  8. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

If you decide to go with the Kimber (that would be my choice) be sure to get one of the models with the "night sights". Factory "feature" costs less, and I'm really impressed with those sights (day or night). :)
  9. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

I agree,

I went with the ultra cdp11 as I thought the upgrades were well worth the difference. The Nuke Sights are fantastic if you don't mind a Nuke powerplant on your hip:)
  10. bobkk

bobkk Member

I have a Kimber u.c and a Kimber compact. The u.c is easier to carry. Shoot about the same with each one. Both of mine are older ones.
  11. patrol

patrol New Member

Thanks for all your imput guys. I appreciate it.
  12. usmc8541

usmc8541 New Member

Texan, who is away from home!!! in the Sunny South
    Hey Patrol, I carry a Dan Wesson CCB when back home. You might think about one of these. It is made out of Stainless & is Heavy compared to others, But man it shots like a DREAM!!!! Dan Wesson Bobtail.jpg
  13. patrol

patrol New Member

Well, I did it. I went ahead to Gander Mountain and they matched my police discount with the price at a store near me and got my dream gun along with "three" trade in guns that sit in my safe that I didn't mind giving up. I hope to shoot it tommorow and will tell you guys how it does after three hundred rounds of break in ammo. Kimber Ultra CDP II. Fits like a glove and carries good on IWB off duty.
  14. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

You don't have to shoot it. I can tell you already you are going to like it. :D

Just remember to keep the mainspring changed about every 2500 rounds and pick up a couple of Wilson Combat mags.

Congrats on your purchase.
  15. Michael G

Michael G New Member

I got one and love it.:cool:
  16. patrol

patrol New Member

Took it out today with "various" magazines to see which would give me fits and which would be consistently reliable. First Off the Ultra CDP shot great and feels awesome, I can't believe it has no more felt recoil then my larger framed 1911's I guess the dual guide rod plays a roll in that. I had no "stove pipes" or "double feeds" indicating the "extractor was on time but did have atleast "5' failures to feed most of them were using a 8 round stainless chip mccormick magazine and Unfortunately two of the FTF were with the issued brand 7 round "Kimber"magazine. I also used two stainless 8round Wilson Combat mags,1 SA Stainless 8rounder and 1 stainless Promag 8 rounder and all of these fed perfectly regardless of how I shot the pistol. I did nomal double taps and had no problems keeping it in a two inch group and when I took my time and shot one at a time it was point of aim point of impact less than 2inch groups. I also messed around and locked down my arm and fan fired full 9 rounds as fast as I could with no problems other than the mags I mentioned. So i used 6 different magazines, four of which were flawless and two had issue's so Im gonna say it has to be the Magazine selection and not the pistol. Also I failed to mention all the other magazines were for fullsize and commander size frames since I have no other "officer" or Ultra type 1911's
    The only real issue I have is one of the two problematic mags was the one that came with the gun. Oh well, I guess Ill order two Wilson Combat mags specifically for the Ultra' to have for regular carry. Also I shot close to 400rounds today with just the Ultra. Also got some fun in with my Bushmaster M4 but had to stop because that made the hunting dogs go nuts.
  17. patrol

patrol New Member

okie dokie...thanks for the input guys, now i remember why i don't come here much
  18. 1911inTEXAS

1911inTEXAS New Member

19. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

???
  20. stash247

stash247 New Member

Patrol, an 'identified issue' is the speed with which the short guns cycle; the magazine spring's sole function is to put the next round into a position to be stripped from the mag, and driven into the chamber, ahead of the slide's feed rib, rising, as it feeds, up under the extractor.
    If the feed problems are with the last couple of shots, in the mag, where tension is least, this would be the place to first explore, with a mag designed for a short stroke pistol, and a stout mag spring; first round feeding problems may well be 'too much' mag spring, and the direct result of friction, on the slide, from the top round in the box, on the feed rib..