Concealed Carry and Ammo

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by SandW640, Aug 21, 2005.

1. SandW640

SandW640 New Member

I was wondering how long I can leave ammo in my S and W 640. I obviously leave it loaded for concealed carry but I assume I can't use the same ammo forever. I go to the range about once a week and I clean the gun every time I shoot it. I use Corbon .357 110gr JHP ammo. Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. West

West New Member

Never used the ammo or modal weapon you have stated, however it seems you have corrosion worries, as long as you buy none corrosive ammo you can leave it for centuries.
  3. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

I've shot ammo that's over sixty years old & have had no probems. So I think you'll be good to go for a half a century or more. As far as the corrosive ammo goes, I'm pretty sure the only corrosive ammo you're going to find is old military surplus and maybe some off the wall, cheaper than dirt foreign ammo.
    Hope this helps,
    Huck
  4. scottmphoto

scottmphoto New Member

I'll shoot my carry ammo once a month and put in some fresh stuff. Ammo is cheap.
  5. Ammo in a weapon intended for self-defense is in a different class from any other ammo one might have. I'm well aware that modern ammo will probably still shoot after many, many years, but I'm the paranoid type. I change out my carry rounds twice a year and shoot them up on the range for practice. I grant you, I've never had one of those unused carry rounds fail to fire yet, but I still feel more comfortable with fresh ammo a couple of times a year.
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I too think lie you. Mine get changed out every three months.
  7. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Pretty much ditto - I run the rounds in the gun out on the range about every 3-4 months. I replenish from a 20 round box. This means I go through a about box of 20 "specialized" rounds a year. New box, start over. FYI - for my Ti smith's I always do this wih any new ammo - I shoot a whole box one round at a time, inspecting all left over rounds in the cylinder after each single shot - the idea being to see if the recoil causes the rounds to seperate, or pull out the bullet in other words. The Ti Scandium frame guns recoil so fast that bullets with light crimps can come apart and tie up your gun in a bad situation. (For my 1911's I shoot at least 100 rounds without a stoppag before I will carry that particular load.)
  8. Good advice 45, especially the part about test firing any new load intended for carry. I do virtually the same thing if I switch from one type of load or manufacturer to another. Modern, high-end pistols and revolvers are not likely to jam or misfire with any of the self-defense loads produced by the major ammo makers, but why take the chance for the cost of a couple of boxes of ammo?