concealed carry , hi point 40 cal an 45 acp

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by EVERETT, Jul 2, 2011.

1. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

hey guys , ok in wisconsin now we will be able to conceal an carry by roughly september , so heres what im thinking i want sumthing with sum decent knock down power but dont wanna fork out the extra $ for sumthin "nicer" so im considering the hi point 45 acp for myself an the hi point 40 cal for my wife , i know alotta people say there junk but everyone has there oppinion right , i did alot of reviewing an talking to people an hell i seen the hi point 9mm models take a beating litterally an still function an shoot what they were pointen at , now i know the older hi point models really were junk but as im told the qaulity is alot better , so whats everyone here say about em ?
  2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

We've discussed them quite a bit on here. The general concensus being that they are ugly,clunky, cheap(price) and dependable. You could do a lot worse.
  3. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

lol well thanks, so it wouldnt be to bad of a concealed carry gun then huh ?
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Fully loaded, that Hi-Point .45 is about 2.5 lbs. That's heavy. It's also huge. Not particularly easy to conceal.

For just a little bit more money, you can get one of many inexpensive options from Keltec, Taurus, and several other manufacturers that are much, much easier to carry. The Hi-Points aren't bad guns; they're just not particularly suited for carrying.
  5. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

You'll hear from pretty much anyone that they are not ideal for carrying. I agree with Josh on going with another option.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I consider the Hi-Point to be a range gun for plinking. They are really too large to be a carry gun. They are so heavy that it would be uncomfortable, and you probably will wind up not wanting to carry it. Then there is the fact that if you do have this gun on your hip when the SHTF, will it get the job done? IMHO, if my life is on the line, I don't want to have to defend it with the cheapeast pistol on the market! I want something I can really count on. Spend a little more money and get something that will do just that. If the Hi-Point is all you can afford at this time, then go for it. The first rule in a gun fight is to be some where else, the second rule is to have a gun!
  7. RedHawk

RedHawk Former Guest

and the 3rd rule is to not have a Hi-Point !!
  8. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

ok thanks for every ones input , heres the thing i want a 45acp to carry not anything smaller just cause it packs the punch where if u shoot once its done an over, the weight aint really an issue for me , an a fully loaded hi point 45 acp would be close to the same weight as a 1911 right ? , an i really did look around alot but all i find a few 45's that are used an there selling for a new price , so i can get the high point 40 a 45 for around 430 with taxes an tranfer fee's, anyone know where i can get a nice 45 acp for around 400 ?
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  9. Boris

Boris Former Guest

You should be able to get two highpoints for $430.00 with change to spare to buy ammo.

You can find used XDs and Glocks for $400.00. I have seen police trade ins for $325.00.

Also there is no such a thing as a one shot and done caliber.
  10. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

i dont do the glock thing an wont do it just dont care for them , but a springfeild i would consider but all i see around is 9mm an well there nice but just a lil small , an well yeah ur right boris there isnt a 1 shot an done gun out there , but if im pullin it ill only need 1 shot an i garuntee itll be done:cool:, lol , an well thats if theres only 1 assailant;) but yeah i can get a 40 cal an a 45 acp high point for around 469.00 but im gonna look into a few other options before i buy the hi points
  11. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

How much "carrying" of an actual pistol have you done? Any?

Been carrying every day since 1997.

If you buy something that is too heavy and uncomfortable, you won't carry it. It will be home, perhaps when you really need it.

What is up with the glamorization of the .45? It is NOT the be all and end all of calibers. Unbelievable.

And I have one. And you know what? I don't carry it........ why? Because it's too FRICKIN' big, that's why. It's my bedside gun. And it's a "compact" .45. Ha!

I'll carry a 9mm or my .357 snubby all day long though, and it's hardly noticeable. It will be MORE than enough to get the job done. And it will be with me, when I need it.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Everett I happen to love .45 acp but what Graehaven said is true, .45 isn't the end all caliber. Time after time it has been proven that .45 is not that much greater than 9mm for one shot stops. Now the Hi Points are fine for a nightstand gun but there are a lot better choices out there for concealed carry. To me it's not so much the weight as it is the concealability of a gun that size.

You can get a Kel Tec or Bersa 9mm for not a whole lot more than a Hi Point .45. Either of those would be a better choice for CC in my opinion

You seem very confident in your shooting skills to be so sure you only need one shot. Of course you know the only guaranteed one stop shot is one that hits anywhere from the center of the face down through the throat that interrupts the cerebral cortex. Not always easy. Do you shoot much? Own any handguns now?

Finally I'm curious as to why you want a .45 for yourself but have decided on a .40 S&W for your wife. Several points here:

No. 1, There isn't much difference in felt recoil between the .40 and .45.

No 2, You shouldn't automatically assume that a woman can't handle that much gun. Many women learn to handle the bigger calibers quite effectively.

No 3, Before you purchase any gun for CCW, anyone, man or woman should try out the gun and see how it feels to them. If you are an inexperienced shooter it is also advisable to get firearms instruction and PRACTICE with the caliber of your choice.

Lastly, what is it you have against Glock? Yes it's plastic but so is Hi Point. Glocks are as rugged, reliable, and accurate as anything out there. I don't think any other handgun has gone through as much torture testing as Glock. They are probably the most popular make of handgun in police dept.s all over the country, as well as the secret service, and F.B.I. Now if you just don't like how they feel in your hand, that's a different story.

Hope that helps. BTW, Welcome aboard Everett.
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a 45 and a 9mm hi point brand new I will sell you for 318.00 plus 20.00 shipping to your ffl.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  14. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

hey guys , well ima pretty decent shot ive been shooting every since bootcamp at 18 lol , but glock is a import i dont like imports just like i like my cars made in the usa , also glocks are very compact i like have all my fingers fit on the gun , an im not glamorizing the 45 acp , but hey it was used in combat an will do the job nicely , but yeah so size may be the only issue ive been thinking about that alot now since every ones implies that there heavy , but i do wonder how heavy a springfield xd with 16 shells in the mag might be to , an well i havent completly decided on it yet but if i did go the hi point route i would be getting a great deal on them an well theres no perticular reason as to why i would give the wife the 40 over the 45 besides i think the 45 is cooler so i would want it lol , an yeah i do own a few guns but honestly i havent shot a 45 acp so i dunno i kinda just like it . an also i havent did any concealed carrying as to it would be illegal until our law passes here in wisconsin wich soon it will
  15. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

thanks for the offer double d but i can get the 40 an 45 hi points for about 330.00 its all the ffl tranfering bull that is gonna get me lol