concealed carry , hi point 40 cal an 45 acp

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by EVERETT, Jul 2, 2011.

1. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

well i like my gun to have a kinda nice look to it , an yeah i seen a few kimber but the $ are a lil high on them , but i do like the way the ria 1911 felt in my hand nice size to classic looks an it was all metal plus theres a nice aftermarket parts selection
  2. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

You understand, of course, that the RIA is made in the Philippines? My Glock 19 was bought used for $300, and there jus plain ain't no better carry gun on earth.
  3. RedHawk

RedHawk Former Guest

Well now Reg Joe , dont be opening up cans of worms like that!! I have to say I enjoyed my Glock 23 , and I might get another one sometime, of course with that said ,I let the Glock go , I will never let a 1911 go!!!
  4. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

I wouldn't carry a tricked out 1911 for defensive carry. I'll stick with my stock Glocks and Kel-tecs. If I have to face a jury, I'll will have used what 90+% of police use. :D

That's not to say that I don't ever want a 1911, but, I can buy two new guns and a 1,000 rounds of ammo for the same price as a "flawlessly functioning" 1911 - and that's based on what I've read on this forum. Too rich for me.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

This is why we all have an opinion! I wouldnt trade one good 1911 for 3 glocks.
  6. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

You're so biased! ;):D
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Its called honesty.....;)
  8. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

hey guys , an no i didnt realize it was made outside the u s , the guy at the store told me it was made in the u s , hmm i might reconsider that , but i do really like the 1911 look an feel , not to mention theres a big aftermarket part availability for it , an also sum nicer things to make it a lil more bad @$$ lol , so whats everyones aoppinion on the ria 1911 ? good? bad ?
  9. Wolf 5.7

Wolf 5.7 New Member

I own a glock22, and it is a accurate and reliable weapon. But it looks like crap in my opinion. Almosst as ugly as a hi point. The square clunkyness of the slide, and just overall appearance makes it look crappy. I also own a Five-seveN (thus my namesake on here) and a S&W SD9. Both guns are infinetly more attractive, having curves and lacking clunkyness. That is my only complaint against glock. Otherwise they are great guns that are reliable and accurate.

And to the O.P. I wouldn't by a hi point for aesthectical reasons. They are ugly. Hi-points from everything I have read are the best Junk gun out there. And I have fired one now, the trigger pull was far too long for my taste. Hi points are a lot like getting it on with a fat girl. It's fun till your friends find out.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  10. RedHawk

RedHawk Former Guest

I wouldnt base my buying power on what 90% of the police departments carry , you probably hit the range more often than the cops do , so with that said , police departments buy there weapons in bulk , they pay on average a little more $250 for those glocks your buying for $500 , police departments go for the cheapest deal they can find and Glock is willing to cooperate with them (great advertising) , Police agencies are not the forefront in the gun community I hate to bring it to you , I spent 20 years in Law Enforcement I can tell you right now , the time most cops spent at the range is roughly 1 = 1 hour qualifying, during duty , once a quarter , thats every 90 days they shoot for an hour , now do you think basing your judgement on buying what the cops buy is prudent ? Obviously this doesnt account for all cops and not the Special ops teams (if there dept has the money) !

Nothing wrong with Glock I love the Glock 21 , Glock 17,Glock 23 , but if you threw a gold cup glock at me or gold cup 1911 , the 1911 would win everytime!
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  11. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

ok guys the verdict is in ,,,, an i got the 1911 para ordinance gi expert in 45 acp , brand spanken new with 2 8 round mags case lock an all paper work , an i can say i do love the way it feels in my hands lol , i held a few glocks an a few other 45's but they just didnt feel right ,
  12. TerragonSix

TerragonSix New Member

Just bought a Hi-Point .45 for about $150... Cycles ammo well enough. Fairly accurate at 30 yards, using Winchester plinker ammo.

But what I have to say about it has probably already been said, it's pretty heavy. Personally I don't mind; the extra mass eats up the recoil, and I happen to be a big guy (6'4, 230 lbs), so it doesn't bother me that much. But for carrying? It's a bit unwieldy and heavy for the average bear.

Hell, to tell you the truth, although it's reliable and accurate (for what it is), I wouldn't carry it, just on the basis of unwieldiness), though, if I didn't have a shotgun, it would be an OK home defense weapon.
  13. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

yeah i did alot of thinken before i did any buying an the bigest thing was would i put my life on the line for under 200 bucks , an well hell no lol , so the para 1911 was quite a bit more about 600 , but i feel good about it an would rest assured if i pulled it itll do what i need it to rest assured , who knows maybe one day ill still pick up a 45 acp hi point i dont think they look to bad an hey it might be fun to play with at the range to , but i deffenetly wont do a concealed carry with it after alot of thought an talken to all the fine member we have here :patriotic::
  14. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Save your money and buy ANYTHING besides a hi-point. You won't regret it. It is NOT a carry gun just like many here have already said.

There are just too many other good guns out there for the same price point.
  15. TerragonSix

TerragonSix New Member

For target shooting, or even home defense, it's fine. If I were to carry on an everyday basis, I would carry a double action revolver with a short barrel/ snub nose. A lot of guys like automatics for carrying, I just like simplicity and reliability. Draw, aim, pull on a revolver; Draw, cock, aim, safety off, pull on an automatic.

Less steps involved, know what I mean? :cool:
  16. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I carry a DAO automatic. No safety, no cocking. Draw, aim, pull. Better capacity, too. ;)
  17. hdogmd22

hdogmd22 New Member

Hi i to am from wisconsin, I just bought a hi point .45acp, when i looked at it at the gun shop i thought, american made, free lifetime warrenty, ok. got it home after the 48 hour waiting period and holy crap, it is a BIG gun. I to was thinking of useing it for concealed carry, i will try it out and see how it goes, but to the other guy, If you are paying 400 or so for a hi point handgun your shopping at the wrong place!!!! you can get 2 for that price maybe even 3 depending on where you go. If you are set on a hi point go to budsgunshop.com and buy one from there and have it transfered to a local ffl dealer, 45acp is 159.00 with free shipping but then you have to pay i'd say a 25 dollar transfer fee and a 13 background check fee. but to pay 400 or more for a hi point is outrages!! I paid 225 total for my brand new 45acp by hi point from my local gun store and it came with a hard case, trigger lock and 1 50 round box of ammo. that was includeding taxes and the background check fee.

also note, it is gonna be hard to conceal such a large gun unless you plan on wearing a winter jacket year round or a very baggy sweatshirt or something or carry a backpack with it in it everywhere you go. It is possible to do so but it wont be easy and like some here have said, you may decide not to carry it after doing so for a week or two. I am gonna carry mine and see how it goes, if i have to i will spring the few extra bucks to get something smaller and keep the 45 in my night stand for at home protection, but i for one do not think hi points are junk, cheap, huge, clunky and ugly yes, but they get the job done. I lucked out with hi point guns and never had problems with any of the ones i own so far, good luck and support the second ammendment!
  18. Clipper

Clipper Member

Everett might consider a snubbie .357. Charter Arms, Taurus and others have a very nice pistol in stainless for around $300. You have the option of shooting .38's in it also, or you could step up to the Charter Arms .44.

Double D has some good info, and can point you in the right direction.
  19. Wolf 5.7

Wolf 5.7 New Member

What Josh said.
  20. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Say what you want about glocks but thats all I will carry,glock 45 model 21 is my carry gun.Glocks one of the most durable and dependable firearms ever made.Thats why 60 % of all law enforcement officers carry them and when Im on duty I know it will work when i need it?