concealed carry , hi point 40 cal an 45 acp

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by EVERETT, Jul 2, 2011.

1. motomech

motomech New Member

I'm sure this isn't the norm but my buddy just bought a Kimber Tactical and after 300 rounds it's back at the factory getting repaired under warranty for abnormal slide wear. I bought a Hipoint 45 at the same time, 350 rounds of cheap Tulammo later in still looks like the day it came out of the cardboard box(I know its no beauty queen or family heirloom). Bonus my wife at 5' 3" loves to shoot it. Practically no recoil.
  2. ares338

ares338 New Member

I have a Hi Point .40 S&W. It's accurate, heavy, could double as a boat anchor and the recoil is almost not felt. The problem with Hi Point pistols are the magazines mostly. You might get a good one or one that won't work worth crap. My Hi Point now cycles FMJ's and JHP's with no problems. I have expensive pistols but Ilike this one a lot. If you get one, my advice is to talk to customer support before you try any adjustments. Don't worry about what people say, if you want it, go for it!
  3. yetiman

yetiman New Member

That is funny, but the video I saw of them trying to destroy one on you tube shows you could fish all day and still take it to the range that night with no problems....:D
  4. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Unfortunately, that is true for any brand firearm you can buy....somewhere somebody has gotten one that is in need of repair and to them the whole company sucks and they wouldn't have one if it were given to them....I like the Hipoint for what it is. Would be a great gun to throw in the car/truck and not worry if it got confiscated.....
  5. yetiman

yetiman New Member

However, the military used them for years and years.....(1911's) but I suppose the training was more intense for them. Heck it hasn't been that long since police departments changed from revolvers as the standard issue has it?
  6. jce07a

jce07a New Member

one of my buddies is an ex-SEAL and now ex-SWAT also and only carries glocks, another buddy is a current SEAL and carries a glock, yet another buddy who spent 27 years as a LEO 21 of those as SWAT has never expressed any sort of desire to carry anything other than his glock that he has put over 96,000 round through without a single jam. i carry a glock and most people i know who i would want on my side if the SHTF carry glocks. they may not be made in the US but they are assembled here. and from what i understand, the glock factory in georgia produces glocks and exports them.

if you want a deal on a glock (Especially a 22) check out CDNN investments. they give excellent deals on hardly used glocks. typically for around $350

just my 2 cents
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glocks for $3.50? Still to much......
  8. pault

pault New Member

I sug gest starting with the small hi-point 380. Very affordable and then as time goes bye you will fall in love with some firearm you can't do without. Then is the time to spend the big bucks. Not when when you are just starting out. Have fun with the Hi-Point until the I Got To Have It gun comes along. Then spend the bucks.
  9. ares338

ares338 New Member

You will need to have a logging chain to keep your pants up if you plan on carrying them on your waist.
  10. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

I have a 9mm hi-point and i like it. It shoots everything I have put through it. It is heavy for carry. I would use it more as a home defense. I do like the bursa 9mm and 380 for a carry gun. As as stated before its what you can afford. Also i would rather give up a gun that I paid a couple of hundred dollars to the police, than one that I paid a thousand for.
  11. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I like my glock 21 45acp alot.it is a very thick though and if you dont have large hands like me you probably wouldnt like it.Ive never shot a 1911 but I would like to.My father in law has a pretty SW 9 mm that is nickel plated and I love that gun.YOu just need to go to the gun shop with a range and shoot different guns and see which one you like best.
  12. Shane Novy

Shane Novy New Member

I have had a Hi Point .45 ACP for almost a year and have put 1500 rounds through it without any issues. It so ugly its sexy... Its a great gun and who gives a rats ass about the price. It does what it was created to do. I have been Army Infantry for 10 years. I would choose the Hi Point over anything else out there.

It going to be hard to not have people see its outline wherever you carry it on your body, but oh well. As long as your clothes cover it it is concealed.
  13. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I will admit I have not read the whole thread, so dont flame me too bad here.

OP, has your wife shot a .40 before? I ask because I find that the .40's recoils is more uncomfortable than the .45. I would think your wife may feel the same. I dont know many women that shoot it(or the .45 either for that matter), but point being that your wife may not like the .40.

May be a moot point as you just bought the one gun, but thought I would bring it up.
  14. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

This is an excellent point. Whatever your feeling on the gun is, the company has made a strategic move by getting into LEO hands even at loss leader pricing. Just like Apple computers in school. 95% of the world runs on PCs, but 95% of schools buy Apple. Why would that make any sense? Apple gives fantastic "deals" (they mark down already overpriced items) to the schools so that school administrators can overspend taxpayers money and claim to be "saving" money. This is no slam on Glocks, just a poke at the logic that it should be YOUR gun because so many cops have them.
  15. lilmule

lilmule New Member

THE 40 has more snap and muzzle rise ,the 45 has more push.
    Have shot both in a hipoint and own a jhp45 normally use federal hydrashock 165 grain low recoil in the 45.My buddy owns a 40 and he uses hotter stuff.about equal.
    Its cheap its ugly(glocks are as well as others) it functions every time.
    Its massive due to blowback design,if there was an ak version of a pistol a hipoint would be it,hand it to anyone,a peasant even who does not know how to clean one and it will work.If it rusts kick or knock the action open it will fire.
    Cheap yeah so arnt ak 100 bucks elsewhere in the world.
    Its a gun you dont worry about the finish to much,drag a kimber thu the mud Kringe doubt if it will fire,that hipoint dont point it at me because most likly it will.
    Just to large to cc with on my 130 lb frame,so truck carry it in the door.