Concealed Carry On Campus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Halwg, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Halwg

Halwg New Member

I'm a major proponent of concealed carry permits. I've had my concealed firearms permit in WV for many years, and renew it every 5 years. I want to be able to carry a firearm when I feel the need and think it's appropriate. I took the required class and range qualification, I'm a law abiding citizen, and I feel it's appropriate for me to be able to carry.

That being said, I think it's a bad idea to allow students, most of who are aged 18 - 21, to carry handguns on campus. While I know many of them are responsible young adults, I know what kinds of stupid things I did while in college and under the influence of tap-a-keg-a-day! Not a good idea to mix the two. Plus, securing the firearm in on or off campus housing becomes a volatile issue!

Now I do think that having people armed on campus would help deter some of these senseless shootings, and defend students and staff if a shooting was taking place. To that end I think allowing certain members of the faculty and staff, who are properly trained and qualified, to carry concealed weapons. Just like having airline pilots armed in the cockpit, this can be a definite deterrent to a senseless shooting.

But allowing the students to have firearms, I just don't think they are ready!!
  2. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

I understand your point, however not all college students are drinkers, nor are all college students bad descion makers. It is the right of everyone to carry a firearm for personal protection, and just because the image of whatever group a person may belong to (ie college students) is less than perfect, I think that denying that right is wrong. However the point is probably moot in most states with the conceal carry age being 21 or higher in most states.

I will also say that in my experience conceal carry citizens are some of the most responsible citizen you will run into, we know how important our rights are, and we also know the responsibility we take on when we leave our home armed.

In my opinion if a state has determained that person can carry concealed legally, then I think it should not matter if they are college student, auto mechanic, etc. And to the greater point, I think where they are allowed to carry should not be infringed either.

Just my 2 cents.
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

For one no one under 21 would be allowed t carry anyway, so the 18, 19, and 20 year olds don't matter.

I think it would be reasonable to limit it like this, particularly at first. Make CCW okay on campus, but can't own firearms in campus properties (IE live on campus, can't own and leave gun in dorm room). Now I think the "college students are immature" debate is real, but not worth banning CCW on campus. I do however think a dorm scenario is not appropriate for gun ownership. The last reason I would cite would be that students will shoot people when they are mad, but rather issues of theft, and financial issues such as insurance the school pays etc. Though campus security should provide lockups for student's weapons, so you can own if you want to target shoot or even carry off campus etc.

That gets complicated in its own way too though. But I see theft as being a major problem, when you have roommates and stuff who may leave doors unlocked, and college students are lazy, I mean hell someone walked in and stole my $4,000 tablet PC in broad daylight while I was in class, and I lived in a small 20 person single-room only dorm (all outside doors are locked).

I can tell you as a 21 year old college student I am sure ready to own and carry (well carry when I get my permit here in a month or so). If I am, there must be others too.
  4. artabr

artabr New Member

Think about the age of most of our military troops. Are they also too young to be responsible. I've shot in matches with 12 year olds that I would trust more behind my back with a hand gun than most of the hunters I've seen at the range.

Art
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I guess I'm showing my age but when I went to college I brought my shotgun back to my dorm room during bird season and if I killed something I had a family in the next town over that was happy to take a little partridge or duck when it came available. The shotgun sat upright in the corner of my room and even though I got into my share of kegs and even a couple of altercations it sat there until I was ready to hunt or take it back home at the end of the season. Someone that has a carry license will be 21 and demonstrate the maturity necessary to accept the responsibility that goes with the license. Many students in college have served in the military and are back furthering their education, many are married, some with children. I think a blanket disarming of students and professors by creating a "gun free zone" makes it easier for those that wish to commit another Virginia Tech style massacre.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Just so everyone knows, Indiana issues carry permits at age 18.

I am a college student (a senior). I have my CCW (though my college is in Illinois, so I wouldn't have the option anyway). I never had a drink until I was 21.

I don't get the logic that says, "I know they're mature enough, but only kind of." Either you are mature enough to carry or not. If someone is so susceptible to peer pressure that they will drink beyond their limit only because "everyone else is doing it," then they aren't mature enough to carry a firearm near me.

And if that's the case, then the minimum age for CCW should be increased. But I do not believe that is the case.
  7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

How about the ones who are returning to school (veterans, late bloomers) who have the right to life as do we all. Can you really say all will do something bad or all do not deserve this right.
  8. DJC7

DJC7 New Member

i'm all for allowing CCW on campuses. i'm 26, married, former air force security forces. i'd like to think i'm responsible enough with a pistol to carry on a campus. ;) although, i'm in illinois so i'm screwed several ways.:(
  9. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I was somewhat misinformed about the minimun age for a CCL. That doesn't change my opinion because if at 18 you can carry a weapon in the military to keep my butt safe then you should be able to carry one to keep your own safe back at home.